Vail Daily obituary: Dr. Dennis Arthur "Denny" Block
February 12, 2013
Dr. Dennis Block passed away on Jan. 30 at his home in Colorado with his loving wife, mother, sister, brother and sister-in-law by his side. Denny is survived by his wife, Carolyn, formerly of Valparaiso, Ind., and currently residing in Wolcott; mother Pauline (Polly) Block, of Aurora, Ind.; sister Kathy Ebbert (Tim), of Transfer, PA; brother Randy Block (Susan) of Lawrenceburg, IN; niece and nephew Rachel and Ian Block of Lawrenceburg, Ind., and nephew Nicholas (Anne) Ramey of Baltimore.
Denny was born June 5, 1952, in Cincinnati, Ohio, to Polly and the late Lloyd Block. During his childhood and teens, he spent time with his family on many camping trips, earning the rank of Eagle scout and excelling in his academic studies.
After high school, Denny followed his desire to become a dentist and later he specialized in oral surgery. He attended Indiana University Dental School, where he graduated with honors in 1978. He went on to complete his oral surgery training in 1981 at Indiana University. During his college years he developed a passion for four wheeling and restoring/collecting automobiles.
In 1984, Denny moved to Valparaiso, Ind., to open his own oral surgery practice in Valparaiso. In 1986, he met his wife, Carolyn, while working in surgery at Porter Memorial Hospital. They later married and spent 19 years working together to build his private practice. During their marriage any vacation time was spent in the West and in particular, the Vail Valley. It was there he found his love of skiing and Native American art and culture.
During his spare time, Denny spent his time as an avid bicyclist, skier, motorcycle collector, offroad/superbike racer and music devotee. Denny was a true fan of the IU Hoosier basketball team, the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Chicago Bulls . One of Denny’s greatest joys was being a member of the T-Birds ski group, with whom he developed his passion for helicopter skiing and established lifelong friendships. Whatever Denny did, he did with intense focus and pride and, above all else, excellence. He always accomplished his goals yet remained a humble and private man.
A memorial service will be held Feb. 23 at 10 a.m. at the First Presbyterian Church in Aurora, Ind. A celebration of his life will be hosted by his wife at their home in Colorado this summer.
Memorials can be made to Hospice of the Valley, PO Box 1474, Edwards, CO 81632 or the American Cancer Society. A special thank you to the staff who took care of Denny at the Shaw Center and Home Hospice of the Valley.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: Ludwig ‘Louie’ Jordan: A life well lived
- Vail Daily obituary: Eric Rosenquist, June 7, 1959, to May 18, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Ann-Margret Eklund, April 16, 2017
- Vai Daily obituary: Gretta Burdick Parks, Oct. 8, 1928, to March 16, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Carmen Rosalie Morris, Dec. 18, 1928, to April 18, 2017
- Eagle boarder cited for unlawful acts in case of dog killed by mountain lion
- Vail Mountain School commencement embraces future, as well as past
- Real estate options in Wildridge offer privacy, open space and value (video)
- New Eagle City Market compiles positive comments, sales tax numbers
- ‘We’ll be racy’: Vail’s Buddy Lazier is running his 20th Indianapolis 500