Vail Daily obituary: Elaine Baxter, 1930-2012
May 29, 2012
Elaine Marie (Rauchfuss) Baxter passed away peacefully on Sunday in Carbondale.
Elaine was born in Denver on Sept. 30, 1930. She married William “Bill” Baxter on March 26, 1949, in Englewood. Bill and Elaine made many long road trips from Denver up the Colorado River Road, where the family would vacation in a one-room cabin on Pose Creek. Bill and Elaine later moved up the Colorado River Road where they raised three children, Marilyn, Patty, and Billy. They owned a home up the Colorado River Road on a small acreage, where Elaine enjoyed living close to her parents, Edna and Otto Rauchfuss.
Elaine enjoyed fishing, planting beautiful flower gardens, late night card games with friends and family, playing practical jokes and spending time with her grandchildren. Elaine was known by her grandchildren for making the best cup of hot coco and pizzelle cookies ever. Elaine worked diligently one summer with her mother and planted the most beautiful flower garden in her yard for her son Bill and daughter-in-law Tammy to hold their wedding ceremony.
Bill and Elaine moved to Grand Junction in 1999 for a few years, before returning to Gypsum in 2002, where they helped their son and daughter-in-law build a home in Gypsum.
Her mother, father, brother, sister, sister-in-law and brother-in-law preceded Elaine in death.
She is survived by her brother and sister-in-law, Lloyd and Helen Rauhfuss, daughter and son-in-law Marilyn and Dennis Coffman, daughter Patty Baxter, and son and daughter-in-law, Bill and Tammy Baxter; grandchildren Denise, Wendy, Loren, Jenni, Shawn, and Brian; and four great-grandchildren, and one on the way.
A memorial service is planned for Friday at 11 a.m. Please join the family at Calvary Christian Fellowship Church located at 35 Lindbergh Drive in Gypsum.
Everyone is invited to celebrate Elaine’s life with the Baxter family.
Please join us for a meal following the service and to exchange memories and stories about Elaine.
“The memory of a good person is a blessing.” – Proverbs 10:7
Trending In: Obituaries
- Obituary: Celebrate Alan Brock Friday, Sept. 22, in Grand Junction
- Obituary: The life of the one and only Kurt Keltner
- Obituary: Michael ‘Mike’ D. Lujan, Aug. 20 1958 – Sept. 6, 2017
- Obituary: Perfecto C. Rivera, March 28, 1931, to Sept. 4, 2017
- Obituary: Elisa A. Haskins, Feb. 23, 1963, to Sept. 4, 2017
- Truck driver dies in fiery Vail Pass crash that closed Interstate 70 for hours Thursday and Friday
- Eagle County Sheriff’s Office identifies 22-year-old arrested in connection with alleged public masturbation
- Cost is in on Ben Harper’s Avon concert: a loss of $68K
- Letter: No luck with customer service at USPS in Vail
- Eagle bike/motorcycle accident detailed in Crime Stoppers alert resolved