Vail Daily obituary: Elbert Preston Baldrey, 1915-2013
March 28, 2013
Elbert P. Baldrey, 97, of Montrose, died early Monday morning at Valley Manor Care Center in Montrose.He was born July 16, 1915, to Thomas Marshall and Elizabeth Emeretta (McNabney) Baldrey in Montrose, and spent his childhood in rural Montrose and Menoken area. Elbert graduated from Montrose High School in 1934. He served his country in the United States Army in Pacific Theater as a medic from 1941 to 1945. Following his honorable discharge, Elbert married Mary Alice Anderson Goldsworthy on December 29, 1946, in Montrose. She preceded him in death on October 10, 2005, in Montrose. He was a farmer in the Montrose area and worked in the timber industry as a logger for several years in the Eagle County area. Elbert and Mary Alice had also resided in Gypsum from 1960 to 2004, where Elbert was a carpenter and building maintenance employee for Eagle County for many years prior to his retirement. They were members of the Methodist Church while living in Gypsum and the First Presbyterian Church in Montrose. great love of Elbert was working with his hands and woodworking. He enjoyed reading and visiting about World War II military history and had a deep faith in God. Surviving family members include his children, Margaret (Terry) Stephens, of San Antonio, Texas, Ralph Baldrey, of Gypsum, Carol (Bruce) Harper, of Avon, Kenneth Baldrey and Kris Peterson, of Denver, and Alice Baldrey-Kelly and Blaine Kelley, of Montrose; nine grandchildren; 12 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild. Elbert was preceded in death by his parents, brothers Thomas and Marion Baldrey, sisters Gwendolyn Beach and Eula Mae Seymour, and daughter-in-law Vera Baldrey. A funeral service in celebration of Elbert’s life was held Thursday at 2 p.m. at Crippin Funeral Home Chapel, with Pastor Scott Myers officiating. Graveside services with military honors will follow the service at Cedar Cemetery, east of Montrose. Memorial contributions may be made to Hospice and Palliative Care of Western Colorado, In memory of Elbert Baldrey, P.O. Box 1804, Montrose, CO 81402. The family wishes to thank the compassionate staff at Valley Manor Care Center for the loving care of our dad. Arrangements are under the direction of Crippin Funeral Home & Crematory in Montrose.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: Ludwig ‘Louie’ Jordan: A life well lived
- Vail Daily obituary: Eric Rosenquist, June 7, 1959, to May 18, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Ann-Margret Eklund, April 16, 2017
- Vai Daily obituary: Gretta Burdick Parks, Oct. 8, 1928, to March 16, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Carmen Rosalie Morris, Dec. 18, 1928, to April 18, 2017
- Eagle boarder cited for unlawful acts in case of dog killed by mountain lion
- Vail Mountain School commencement embraces future, as well as past
- New Eagle City Market compiles positive comments, sales tax numbers
- Real estate options in Wildridge offer privacy, open space and value (video)
- Vail Daily column: Summer paid parking in Vail?