Vail Daily obituary: Elsa Salazar, 1929-2014
May 20, 2014
Elsa Salazar, Aug. 12, 1929-May 16, 2014.
Longtime Minturn resident Elsa Salazar passed away peacefully on May 16 following a long illness. Elsa was born in Geislingen, Germany, and like many young women of her generation became a war bride and married Trinidad Salazar and moved to Colorado to raise a family.
Elsa was a lifelong restaurateur who established the award-winning Ambrosia in Vail.
After retiring, Elsa moved to Joplin, Missouri, where she spent time gardening, knitting and spending time with her family and friends.
She was preceded in death by Trinidad Salazar and her mother, Magdalene Engstler.
She is survived by her children, Silvia and Bill Boyd, of Joplin, Missouri, Victor Salazar, of New York City, and Trina Salazar, of Tulsa, Oklahoma; grandchildren Joe Harp, of Tulsa, Oklahoma, Dianna Harp, of Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Dylan and Beverly Boyd, of San Mateo, Florida; and great-grandchildren Daniel, Nathan, Max and Avery.
She is also survived by her siblings, who all reside in Germany: Erika Will, Maya Hummel, Inge and Martin Beil Reinhold and Gertrude Engstler.
Elsa was a loving mother and grandmother and will be deeply missed but forever in our hearts.
A graveside service will be held on Friday at 3 p.m. at Ozark Memorial Cemetery in Joplin, Missouri.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Partially decomposed body found north of Eagle near Burger King
- One dead in apparent ATV crash in retail store parking lot in Gypsum
- Town of Eagle eyes nearly $83,000 total payment to former manager
- Luxury real estate in Beaver Creek to be sold through Instant Gavel auction app
- Breaking: Brush fire reported along Interstate 70 in Avon extinguished