Vail Daily obituary: Frank Smith, 1941-2013
August 30, 2013
Frank August Smith Jr., 71, a longtime Beaver Creek resident, passed away at home on Monday.
Frank was born on Aug. 29, 1941, in Staten Island, N.Y., the son of the late Frank August Smith Sr. and Olga Albert Smith.
Frank attended Red Bank Regional High School in Red Bank, N.J., and received a bachelor's degree in business from the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Fla. He served in the Army from 1964 through 1967. Frank's career in the securities business spanned 37 years, first as a vice president of institutional fixed income sales with Kidder Peabody in New York while living in Rumson, N.J. In 1992, he came to Denver as a senior VP with Piper Jaffray to help start an institutional fixed income group. In 1994, he joined Salomon, Smith Barney as a senior VP of institutional sales, working there until his retirement in 2006. Frank has been a full-time resident of Beaver Creek since coming to Colorado in 1992.
Preceded in death by his son Russ, Frank is survived by his wife of 49 years, Nancy Egolf Smith; his daughter, Greta Gibb, and her husband, Paul, of Paonia; his son Christopher Patrick and his wife, Brooke, of Boulder; three grandchildren, Cooper Gibb, Samuel Gibb and Griffin Smith; and his sister, Arline Wenning, of Hamilton, Ohio.
Frank was a devoted father and grandfather, a loving husband and loyal friend. He enjoyed skiing, biking and golfing with his many friends, young and old. His storytelling, sports banter and hearty laughter were hallmarks of his passion for life. Even though Frank's lung cancer persisted, we all learned from his strength, tenacity and positive survival spirit.
A memorial service will be held at the Beaver Creek Chapel on Thursday at 2 p.m. with a reception to follow in the Beaver Creek Club. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that you consider donations to Eagle Valley Senior Life, P.O. Box 394, Minturn, CO 81645, or Shaw Cancer Center-Jack's Place, P.O. Box 2559, Edwards, CO 81632. Both organizations will use donations toward caring for patients with a life-threatening illness. Frank's family would like to thank all those who loved him.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: Britton John Green, April 1, 1985, to July 15, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Tracie Lee Johnson
- Vail Daily obituary: Michael Edmund Toughill, March 30, 1946, to July 15, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: James (Jimmie) Benjamin Cline
- Vail Daily obituary: Richard “Dick” Joseph Blair, May 26, 1929, to June 26, 2017
- Minturn man gets 20 to 40 years in prison for shooting at cops during robbery
- Vail Daily letter: Add more parking? Reduce the speed limit?
- Florida man busted in pair of Eagle County carfentanil overdose deaths
- Colorado’s fourth 14er death of 2017 renews drive to educate hikers of risks
- Breaking: Interstate 70 eastbound near Dowd Junction reopened