Vail Daily obituary: George Lee Mascarenas, 1945-2014
February 19, 2014
George Lee Mascarenas, 68 years young, of Gypsum, passed away Jan. 25.
George was born Aug. 30, 1945, in Dragerton, Utah, to Zacharias and Rachel Mascarenas.
George graduated from Battle Mountain High School in May 1963. He enlisted into the U.S. Air Force in June 1963 and served his country a total of four years, two of them in the Vietnam War before being honorably discharged in June 1967.
George worked for the town of Vail for 14 years. His hobbies included fishing and hiking with his dog Horatio. He was the Denver Broncos No. 1 fan.
He is survived by his wife of 12 years, Francy Mascarenas; his children, Alicia Torres (Julio), of Henderson, Zacharias Mascarenas (Renell), of Thornton, and stepson Joshua Miller, of California; grandchildren Christina (Robbie), Desirae, Julio, Analise, Isaiah, Cimmeron and Jacob; great-grandson Ezekiel; sisters Evelyn Gallegos, of Alco, Nev., Laverne Espinoza (Isaac), of Gypsum; and brother Benjamin Mascarenas, of Grand Junction.
A graveside gathering will be held Feb. 7 at the Riverside Cemetery in Minturn at 11 a.m., followed by a celebration of life reception at the Gypsum Town Hall reception room from 1-4 p.m.
The family asks that donations be made to any Breast Cancer awareness foundation in lieu of flowers.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: Britton John Green, April 1, 1985, to July 15, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Tracie Lee Johnson
- Vail Daily obituary: Michael Edmund Toughill, March 30, 1946, to July 15, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Richard “Dick” Joseph Blair, May 26, 1929, to June 26, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: James (Jimmie) Benjamin Cline
- Minturn man gets 20 to 40 years in prison for shooting at cops during robbery
- Breaking: Interstate 70 eastbound near Dowd Junction reopened
- Vail Daily letter: Add more parking? Reduce the speed limit?
- At Tommy Zima’s you’re not in Gypsum anymore
- Colorado’s fourth 14er death of 2017 renews drive to educate hikers of risks