Vail Daily obituary: J. David Brock, 1944-2012
September 24, 2012
J. David Brock, of Chicago, and known as “Poppy” to his grandchildren, was born on Sept. 16, 1944, to Nancy Lee (Wincher) and Richard C. Brock.
He died in Eagle Lake, Wis., on Sept. 9 of natural causes while piloting his Bonanza to Minocqua, Wis.
David is survived by his wife, Noelle Brock; his children Clay (Amy) Brock and Whitney (Aaron) Fershee; five grandchildren, Graham, Avery, Genevieve, Blythe, and Kitty; and his brother, Stephen (Eileen Hammar) Brock.
David and Noelle graduated from Lake Forest College in 1966. David worked at The Northern Trust Company for his entire professional career, serving in many senior executive roles before retiring in 2000. Throughout the years, he gave back to his community in many ways, serving on the Lake Forest College Board of Trustees, the Northfield Village Board, The Lake Tomahawk Association, the Shaw Outreach Team of the Shaw Regional Cancer and the St. James the Less Episcopal Church, among others.
David was a gentle, kind and caring man who had a deep and abiding faith. He was an enthusiastic pilot, hiker, skier and traveler. He and Noelle traveled, explored, laughed and loved with their many friends and family. David had a particular affinity for the mountains and he and Noelle spent many weeks here each year hiking, skiing, golfing, kayaking and welcoming family and friends to their Arrowhead home. He plunged enthusiastically into this community’s life, was a member of the Shaw Outreach Team as Jack’s Place was planned and built and supported programming for youth through the Vail Valley Foundation. He will be missed by all who knew him.
A memorial service was held Sept. 18 at St. Chrysostom’s Episcopal Church in Chicago. Donations in memory of David may be made to the Episcopal Charities and Community Services (www.eccsonline.net), the Vail Valley Foundation (www.vvf.org), the Howard Young Foundation (www.howardyoungfoundation.org), or Jack’s Place at the Shaw Regional Cancer Center c/o Kim Sharkey, PO Box 2559, Edwards, CO 81632.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Obituary: The life of the one and only Kurt Keltner
- Obituary: Mrs. Clara A. Valencia, Aug. 27, 1936, to Sept. 11, 2017
- Obituary: Michael ‘Mike’ D. Lujan, Aug. 20 1958 – Sept. 6, 2017
- Obituary: Perfecto C. Rivera, March 28, 1931, to Sept. 4, 2017
- Obituary: Robert Leroy Kesterson, Oct. 15, 1935 – Sept. 9, 2017
- Arvada woman pleads not guilty in Eagle County crash that killed two of her children
- Eagle County Sheriff’s Office: Man arrested after report of masturbation in Miller Ranch Open Space in Edwards
- Speed limits on I-70 through Glenwood Canyon could go as low as 30 mph with new technology
- Colorado police on the hunt for ‘The Mad Pooper’ — aka the poop-and-run jogger
- American Airlines to start all-year, daily service from Dallas-Fort Worth to Eagle County’s airport