Vail Daily obituary: Michael Joseph Newman, 1936-2014
February 19, 2014
Michael Joseph Newman, 77, will be remembered as a lover of bicycling, skiing, reading and ice cream. He died peacefully Jan. 1 at the Veterans Home in Rifle, ending an eight-year struggle with Alzheimer's disease.
A graduate of Lawrence High School on Long Island, N.Y., Lehigh University with a Bachelors of Science in '58 and master's degree from Harvard Business School in '63, he spent his career in corporate finance. He served in the U.S. Army in Germany from 1958 to 1961, where he learned to ski, fell in love with fast cars and drank a lot of German beer.
Michael and his wife, Suzette, first moved to Denver in 1971 and started spending weekends in Vail. They moved permanently to Edwards in 2002 to enjoy retirement. He is survived by his loving wife of 47 years, Suzette; sister Kathryn; and devoted son, Kent (Karen). The family would like to thank all of the wonderful friends and caregivers who have helped support them over the years as Michael's disease progressed — especially Josh Eaton, James Pettersen, Peter Vucich and Patrick Schlehuber.
A celebration of life will be scheduled later this winter. Memorial contributions may be made to Eagle Valley Senior Life, P.O. Box 394, Minturn.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Ritz Bachelor Gulch owner opts to fight felony charges
- Gypsum woman wins $100,000 from Colorado Lottery
- Vail Resorts to buy Stowe Mountain Resort in Vermont
- Manhunt underway near Basalt for two men believed to be suspects in Thursday’s armed robbery in Carbondale
- Lodge at Cordillera can sell, federal judge rules, but legal battle continues