Vail Daily obituary: Michael Joseph Newman, 1936-2014
February 19, 2014
Michael Joseph Newman, 77, will be remembered as a lover of bicycling, skiing, reading and ice cream. He died peacefully Jan. 1 at the Veterans Home in Rifle, ending an eight-year struggle with Alzheimer's disease.
A graduate of Lawrence High School on Long Island, N.Y., Lehigh University with a Bachelors of Science in '58 and master's degree from Harvard Business School in '63, he spent his career in corporate finance. He served in the U.S. Army in Germany from 1958 to 1961, where he learned to ski, fell in love with fast cars and drank a lot of German beer.
Michael and his wife, Suzette, first moved to Denver in 1971 and started spending weekends in Vail. They moved permanently to Edwards in 2002 to enjoy retirement. He is survived by his loving wife of 47 years, Suzette; sister Kathryn; and devoted son, Kent (Karen). The family would like to thank all of the wonderful friends and caregivers who have helped support them over the years as Michael's disease progressed — especially Josh Eaton, James Pettersen, Peter Vucich and Patrick Schlehuber.
A celebration of life will be scheduled later this winter. Memorial contributions may be made to Eagle Valley Senior Life, P.O. Box 394, Minturn.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: Eric Rosenquist, June 7, 1959, to May 18, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Ann-Margret Eklund, April 16, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Ludwig ‘Louie’ Jordan: A life well lived
- Vail Daily obituary: Carmen Rosalie Morris, Dec. 18, 1928, to April 18, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Bradley Chandler Post, March 22, 1950, to May 14, 2017
- Eagle boarder cited for unlawful acts in case of dog killed by mountain lion
- Eagle, homeowner team up on grant request to tear down Broadway house
- American Airlines will have daily air service from Dallas to Eagle County
- Alleged internet predator arrested, jailed for sex with 13-year-old girl
- Vail Mountain School commencement embraces future, as well as past