Vail Daily obituary: Miles Darius Firkins, 1931-2013
December 1, 2013
Miles Darius Firkins, 82, went home to be with our Father on Nov. 25.
Born Oct. 24, 1931, in Indianapolis, Ind., he was a loving husband, father, brother and Papaw. He served in the U.S. Army as an A.C. gunner. He worked at the Indianapolis Star while attending IUPUI drafting school. For more than 20 years, he ran Firkins Brothers Construction with his brother. He was an avid outdoorsman.
He is survived by the love of his life, Dolores R (Dickey), of 61 years; five kids, Miles Jr. (Karen), Terry, Nat (Susan), Valerie Gordon (Scott), Kelly Lannan (John);13 grandchildren; four great-grandkids, brother Phil; and sisters Sandy and Lorinda.
A memorial was held Saturday at Holiday Shores, Largo, Fla.
He was preceded in death by his parents,Vivian (Webb) and Archie Firkins; and three brothers.
He is dearly remembered as a gentle, kind man and the best dad ever!
Knowing that he is resting with the Lord brings peace to us all. Matthew 5:5 states: "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."
Trending In: Obituaries
- Obituary: Steve Boblak, Sept. 29, 1956, to July 27, 2017
- Obituary: Janet Field, Jan. 9, 1941, to Aug. 11, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: David L. Meirowsky, Dec. 3, 1966, to July 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Phoebe Brook Lester, 16, was a joy to friends, family
- Vail Daily obituary: Britton John Green, April 1, 1985, to July 15, 2017
- Massachusetts man dies after Vail Mountain bike crash
- Viewing guide for solar eclipse, in Eagle County and from area of totality
- Details emerge in death of 20-year-old hiker on Conundrum Creek Trail near Aspen
- Everything you need to know about today’s solar eclipse over Eagle County
- One woman dead, another injured after ATV accident north of Eagle County border