Vail Daily obituary: Raymond Dale Ritchey, 1930-2013
September 19, 2013
Longtime Summit County pioneer and old-time hard-rock miner Raymond Dale Ritchey passed away at the age of 82 in Grand Junction.
Raymond was born on Oct. 27, 1930, in Dillon to Clarence and Harriet Ritchey. He spent his childhood in Dillon and attended high school in Breckenridge. Raymond's family has been native to Colorado since the late 1800s; he was an old pioneer of Summit County.
After serving in the U. S. Army, he worked as a uranium miner. Raymond was an avid hunter, fisherman, gardener and a huge Broncos fan.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his brothers, Clyde and Albert Ritchey; his daughter, Darlene (Ron) Shull; his stepson, Ned E. Smith, Jr.; and his sister, Denzel Tompkins.
Raymond is survived by his wife, Nancy L. Ritchey, with whom he spent 38 years of marriage; his son, Jerry Ritchey, of Denver; his stepsons, Wayne and Dennis Smith; his daughter, Dena (Dave) McWilliams, of Commerce City; his sister, Geraldine Offerson, of Denver; 11 grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren; as well as numerous nieces, nephews and close friends.
A service of remembrance will be held Saturday at 10 a.m. at the Crossroad Methodist Church with Pastor Alane Currier Griggs presiding. Burial will take place at a later date in Dillon.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush’ reality show, ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- Vail parking pass sales begin Oct. 30 with incentives for early purchases
- Cordillera ‘discriminating against addictions,’ federal ADA lawsuit claims
- Eagle County approves Edwards area, 120-unit 6 West Apartments plan
- Weeding through marijuana: Experts, advocates talk cannabidiol (CBD)