Vail Daily obituary: Richard Alan Romero, 1957-2013
February 18, 2014
Richard Alan Romero, 56, passed away peacefully on Sept. 15 at the Hospice Family Care Center in Arizona.
Richard Alan Romero, born June 16, 1957, in Mexico City to William H. Romero Jr. and Joyce Caroline Wade Romero. He moved to Europe in 1969 with his parents and brothers: Robert, now of Chula Vista, Calif., and Ronald, now of Lindenhurst, Ill. They lived in Italy and Belgium attending the French Lycee, from which Richard received his baccalaureate in 1977. He then went to Purdue University in Indiana, attending one year of engineering at the University of Hanover, Germany, and graduated from Purdue in 1981. Richard spoke five languages, which he put to good use in his future positions with Federal Mogul.
Richard was a mechanical engineer with Federal Mogul in Southfield, Mich., for more than 25 years. Because of his aptitude for languages and cultural sensitivity, he travelled internationally, initiating multiple joint-ventures and alliances with well known auto-supply companies and distributors in South Korea, Japan, South America and China. One joint-venture culminated in a successful auto manufacturing plant jointly run in Alabama for many years.
Richard's passions included skiing, photography and learning about break-through scientific and economic theories. After leaving Federal Mogul in 2006, he and the family moved to Vail. He then turned his passion for skiing and teaching into an occupation becoming a ski instructor for Vail Mountain until he was diagnosed with colon-rectal cancer in 2009. He transitioned to a stay-home father, facilitating the family move to Scottsdale, Ariz., in 2011.
He will be missed for his dry and off-beat sense of humor, which lives on in his children, and his ability to fix anything, which does not live on in his spouse. Because of his love of photography we have numerous memories and his perspectives that we are welcome to share with anyone who is present at the memorial or on the Facebook page. He is survived by his wife, Barbara Firminger; five children, Janelle (27), Alanna (25), Johnathan (15), Rachel (14) and Spencer (8); and one grandchild, Liselle (4 months). A memorial reception will be held for Richard by his family at 1153 Hornsilver Road in Vail from 4 to 6 p.m. on Nov. 25.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: Britton John Green, April 1, 1985, to July 15, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Michael Toughill memorial service notice
- Vail Daily obituary: Tracie Lee Johnson
- Vail Daily obituary: Michael Edmund Toughill, March 30, 1946, to July 15, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: James (Jimmie) Benjamin Cline
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Outpouring of support begins for Eagle bartender Dita Richterova
- Vail Daily letter: Response to: ‘Political sign inappropriate for Vail parade’
- Locals searching for dog that fled head-on crash on Vail Pass Saturday
- The town of Vail looks at revising, tightening its rent-by-owner regulations