Vail Daily obituary: Sandy Miller Lewarton
July 5, 2014
Sandy Miller Lewarton passed away June 3 after living a life filled with adventurous sports that could have been lethal. Instead, she spend much of the last year of her life at Shaw Regional Cancer Center in Edwards in an attempt to battle the cancer that eventually took her life. She was a member of the National Ski Patrol, starting at Eldora, then Copper Mountain, and has friends in the Vail patrol and all over Colorado and New Mexico. From 2009–2011, she represented Idea Wild at the Minturn Market, selling natural products from Nature's Own to benefit Idea Wild, an international organization that promotes biodiversity.
Sandy was born in Grand Rapids, Mich. Parents John and Bev Miller inspired Sandy and her brother Scott with a childhood full of ski trips and bicycle tours. Her grandfather had her on skis at 3 years old at Caberfae.
Sandy's love of travel and adventure continued when she made Colorado her home. She attended CU, worked at Golden Gate State Park and led horseback rides for rock stars at Caribou Ranch. She was a raft and mountain bike guide with Sheri Griffith Expeditions and Nichols Exhibitions.
She and her former husband, Larry, were river rangers on the Owhyee River, in eastern Oregon the summers before and after their daughter Robin was born in 1986. The following year, the family moved to Breckenridge to open Nature's Own and her son Patrick was born that year at the Vail Valley Medical Center. In addition to Nature's Own in Breckenridge and Nederland, Sandy worked at City Liquors in Breckenridge.
For the past three winters, she volunteered for Ignite, the Eldora adaptive ski program, and taught people with disabilities to ski.
In lieu of flowers, donations in Sandy's name can be made to Shaw Regional Cancer Center in Edwards, or Ignite at Eldora Mountain Resort. A memorial celebration for Sandy will be held at River Bend in Lyons on Aug. 3.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Obituary: Celebrate Alan Brock Friday, Sept. 22, in Grand Junction
- Obituary: The life of the one and only Kurt Keltner
- Obituary: Michael ‘Mike’ D. Lujan, Aug. 20 1958 – Sept. 6, 2017
- Obituary: Perfecto C. Rivera, March 28, 1931, to Sept. 4, 2017
- Obituary: Elisa A. Haskins, Feb. 23, 1963, to Sept. 4, 2017
- Truck driver dies in fiery Vail Pass crash that closed Interstate 70 for hours Thursday and Friday
- Eagle County Sheriff’s Office identifies 22-year-old arrested in connection with alleged public masturbation
- Cost is in on Ben Harper’s Avon concert: a loss of $68K
- Eagle bike/motorcycle accident detailed in Crime Stoppers alert resolved
- Letter: No luck with customer service at USPS in Vail