Vail Daily obituary: Steven Pollock Walker, 1947-2013
October 30, 2013
Steven Pollock Walker, husband, father, rancher, skier, artist, musician, cook and genuine lover of life, passed away at his home in East Lake Creek on the morning of Oct. 19 shortly after baking his last magnificent cherry pie. He was 65.
Steve was born in Sandpoint, Idaho, the fourth and youngest son of Harlan and Margaret Walker. He first traveled east to Vail in the '70s. His love for the mountain life never ceased, and after spending some time in Montana, he returned to Vail to begin a career as the East Lake Creek Ranch manager and a Vail ski instructor. Over a 32-year span, he raised three boys, in each of whom he instilled his values for outdoor mountain living.
The outdoors were always home to Steve, and he loved spending time partaking in its opportunities, while respectfully promoting to others its magnificence and grandeur. Steve also loved a good challenge.
His earlier life centered around outdoor feats, such as smoke jumping for the U.S. Forest Service, downhill racing, driving his camper all around North America, hiking in Austria, hunting, fishing and dragging anyone nearby to watch a sunset or full moon. He also carried an affinity for art, literature and music. For as big a life as he led, he always had time to help a neighbor or chat with a newfound friend.
He is survived by his wife, Dana, of Niagara Falls, Ontario; children Karl (Kristin), of Temecula, Calif.; and Ryan and Mitchell, of Edwards; mother, Margaret Louise Pollock Walker, of Sandpoint, Idaho; and brothers Gordon (Sandie), of Seattle; Dennis, of Seattle; and Greg (Betsy), of Sandpoint, Idaho.
His ashes will be spread in the beloved Holy Cross Wilderness near his home, and a celebration of his life will take place Sunday at the Singletree Pavilion in Edwards from 2 to 5 p.m. If you are unable to attend, the family asks that you raise a glass and toast a man who was, and will always be, remembered and respected as, an original.
The Steve Walker Memorial Fund has been established. Donations may be made at any 1stBank in Colorado or sent to the Vail branch at 17 Vail Road, Vail, CO 81657.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: Britton John Green, April 1, 1985, to July 15, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Michael Toughill memorial service notice
- Vail Daily obituary: Tracie Lee Johnson
- Vail Daily obituary: Michael Edmund Toughill, March 30, 1946, to July 15, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: James (Jimmie) Benjamin Cline
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Outpouring of support begins for Eagle bartender Dita Richterova
- Vail Daily letter: Response to: ‘Political sign inappropriate for Vail parade’
- Locals searching for dog that fled head-on crash on Vail Pass Saturday
- The town of Vail looks at revising, tightening its rent-by-owner regulations