Vail Daily obituary: Susan Eileen Mines, 1961-2013
October 7, 2013
Susan Eileen Mines was born Feb. 20, 1961, in Des Plaines, Ill. She passed away at home Sept. 30 surrounded by her family.
Susan was the sixth of seven children. She is survived by her father, Tom Mines; siblings Mike, Tom, Chris, Kath, Jim and Joan along with Julie Walther Mines, Steve Sego and Chet Roe; her sister and brother-in-laws; eight nieces and nephews; plus aunts, uncles and numerous cousins. Her mother, Nancy Mines, died a few months prior to Susan, in June.
Susan's family moved to Boulder in 1964. She attended Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic school and graduated from Boulder High School in May of 1979. Susan was an incredibly gifted athlete, strong-willed and competitive. She excelled at any sport she tried and was one of the star basketball players for the Boulder High basketball team, voted "most athletic" by her peers her senior year.
Susan was very social with an outgoing personality and many friends. She had a contagious enthusiasm for life, loved having as much fun as possible and was unafraid of anybody or anything, which certainly helped her fight hard for many years after her injury.
Susan suffered a traumatic brain injury in a car accident in May 1979 at the end of her senior year at Boulder High; it was a life-changing injury for Susan and her family. Despite some peace knowing her life struggles are now over, it is with heavy hearts that we say our final goodbye.
Memorial services will be Saturday at 9:30 a.m. at the Beaver Creek Chapel.
In lieu of flowers, contributions in Susan's memory can be made to the Brain Injury Alliance of Colorado, 1385 S. Colorado Boulevard No. 606, Building A, Denver, CO 80222; or Hospice of the Vail Valley, P.O. Box 3768, Basalt, CO 81621.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: Britton John Green, April 1, 1985, to July 15, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Michael Toughill memorial service notice
- Vail Daily obituary: Tracie Lee Johnson
- Vail Daily obituary: Michael Edmund Toughill, March 30, 1946, to July 15, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: James (Jimmie) Benjamin Cline
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Outpouring of support begins for Eagle bartender Dita Richterova
- Vail Daily letter: Response to: ‘Political sign inappropriate for Vail parade’
- Locals searching for dog that fled head-on crash on Vail Pass Saturday
- The town of Vail looks at revising, tightening its rent-by-owner regulations