Vail Daily Obituary: William Emmett Nottingham Jr., 1927-2014
March 5, 2014
William Emmett (Bill) Nottingham Jr. passed away on Monday at his family ranch in Burns. He was 86 years old. He was born on Dec. 22, 1927, to Emmett and Myrtle Nottingham of Avon, grew up working on the family ranch in Avon and graduated from Eagle County High School in 1945. Bill was very active in the construction business in the early development of the Vail/Eagle Valley, but was a rancher his entire life. He loved the ranching life. He loved the land, he loved the wonders of nature, he loved his pick-up, but most of all, he loved his family. Being in ranching allowed him to keep his family close.
Bill and his beloved wife, Neva, were married for 64 years. Together, they raised three children. He is survived by Neva and his daughter, Susan Nottingham, both of Burns. He is also survived by three grandsons: Timothy (and Katie), of Edwards; Travis (and Tory), of Burns; and Tyler (and Brie), of Fort Collins. He also leaves five great-grandchildren: Gia and Violet, of Orlando, Fla.; Fortune and Cruz, of Burns; and Stephen Scott, of Edwards.
Bill was preceded in death by his sons, Randy and Stephen, and his grandson Nathan. Bill Nottingham lived a great life and was blessed with a good death. He was dearly loved by all his family and will be deeply missed.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Valley Foundation announces free concert lineup for Vail and Eagle
- Vail Daily guest column: Dog rescued from shelter now saves humans’ lives
- ‘No evidence’ as judge drops pot charge against Eagle county surveyor
- Activewear company Liquido ticketed, faces fines for Hanging Lake conduct
- Vail Daily editorial: Proposed smartphone ban is extreme nanny-ism