Vail’s William ‘Robby’ Robinson dead at 72
May 22, 2014
VAIL — One of Vail's originals, William "Robby" Robinson, died Monday. He was 72.
Robby was born Sept. 3, 1941, to William Douglas Robinson and Gwendolyn Price. He grew up in Colorado Springs, where he graduated from high school in 1959. He attended college at Doane College in Nebraska, the University of Northern Colorado and Louisiana State University. College was good, but skiing was better. Robby was young when he fell in love with mountain living. He and his dad would come to the mountains from Colorado Springs for fly-fishing excursions. Eventually someone gave him some hand-me-down skis, and that was that.
It was the 1950s and people were still using leather boots and enormous skis. His skis were too long and his boots were way too big, but it didn't slow Robby down at all. He loved it right from the start.
Breckenridge was a fledgling ski area, and when he landed there in the mid 1960s, he went to work for the ski patrol. From Breckenridge, he migrated over Vail Pass and went to work at the upstart Meadow Mountain Ski Area teaching lessons and working with the ski patrol, where he met and fell in love with Kathleen Kuehler.
He landed in Vail in 1969 to be part of the ski patrol, and he never left. He loved skiing and looked great doing it. Robby and Kathleen were married in 1972, and that year he joined Vail Associates Real Estate.
Eventually he launched his own real estate firm, Robinson Mitchell and Associates LLC. Robby and Kathleen were constantly outdoors and raised their children here in Vail. Through real estate and ski patrolling he made friends from all over the world, especially Mexico. He stayed close with and cherished all of his friends from childhood on. He was active in many areas of the community, helping residents and strangers alike. He always made time for family, friends and skiing. Robby is survived by his wife, Kathleen, his daughter Sara, son Christopher (Kara), and two grandchildren, Brooks and Charles.
A funeral mass is scheduled for 10 a.m. Friday, May 30, at the Vail Chapel. A gathering for family and friends will follow at The Bully Ranch.
In lieu of flowers a memorial fund has been set up in Robby's name at National Jewish Health. Donations may be sent to: National Jewish Health, P.O. Box 17169, Denver, CO 80217-0169, or call 303-388-4461.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Vail Daily obituary: Eric Rosenquist, June 7, 1959, to May 18, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Bradley Chandler Post, March 22, 1950, to May 14, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Ann-Margret Eklund, April 16, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Carmen Rosalie Morris, Dec. 18, 1928, to April 18, 2017
- Vail Daily obituary: Ingrid Rittner
- Eagle, homeowner team up on grant request to tear down Broadway house
- School board says no to Walking Mountains, yes to $510K scholastic app
- American Airlines will have daily air service from Dallas to Eagle County
- Alleged internet predator arrested, jailed for sex with 13-year-old girl
- Hovey & Harrison opening in Edwards, offering meal subscriptions