On the Hill: Bluebird powder day at Vail
January 11, 2014
VIDEO: Vail Daily reporter John LaConte delivers his daily GoPro conditions report while snowboarding through the powder on Vail Mountain’s Forever run
On the Hill is shot with a GoScope Extreme 2X Telescoping pole mount, get 30% off your order at Go-Scope.com by using the following promo code: goscopevaildaily
Vail official report: 10 inches new snow overnight, 33 inches in last week
Vail Daily field report: The 10 inches Vail reported felt more like 2 feet in places
Weather: Very sunny, beautiful day. But there are winds to contend with.
Liftline status: It’s the busiest day of the season so far
Run of the day: The main runs were beginning to look tracked out by 9:30 a.m., so it may be a day to hit the trees and stash spots
Breakdown: It’s an absolutely huge powder day, one of the only true bluebird powder days we’ve seen this season, and it’s also a Saturday. So that means it’s going to be crowded. Both Vail and Lionshead parking structures were full by 10 a.m.
Snowcast: The National Weather service says snowy skies should return tonight
Trending In: On The Hill
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Twice is nice for Vail Mountain School skiing
- Final report released in fatal Flat Tops avalanche
- VIDEO: Venezuelan Nordic skier dubbed ‘worst skier alive’ competes at World Championships
- Will 2017 be the last year of free Vail summer parking?