On the Hill: Frontside Chutes open at Vail
January 5, 2014
VIDEO: Vail Daily reporter John LaConte delivers his daily GoPro conditions report while snowboarding down the Frontside Chutes on Vail Mountain.
On the Hill is shot with a GoScope Extreme 2X Telescoping pole mount, get 30% off your order at Go-Scope.com by using the following promo code: goscopevaildaily
Vail official report: 1 inch new snow at 5 a.m.
Vail Daily field report: By 9:30 a.m. there was5-6 inches fresh snow on the mountain
Weather: Cold and snowing
Liftline status: Crowded
Run of the day: Frontside Chutes opened today
Breakdown: The storm that came through today left significant snowfall at lower elevations, unlike some of the other storms we’ve seen this season which blanked the top of the mountain but didn’t leave as much accumulation at the bottom. This allowed lower-elevation terrain like the Frontside Chutes underneath Gondola One to open.
Snowcast: The National Weather service expects the snowfall to continue into tomorrow
Trending In: On The Hill
- Arapahoe Basin volunteer ski patrol program finished after at least 4 decades
- Glenwood commuting challenge mounts for Eagle County residents
- Woodchuck starts car fire in Steamboat Springs, flees scene, later apprehended
- David Walder, of Edwards, died Monday in Sweetwater Jeep rollover accident
- Huskies 3,200 relay strikes gold at state meet