On the Hill: Surfing the mythical Big Sur wave
June 5, 2014
Today’s activity: Surfing the Big Sur wave in Debeque Canyon with pro stand-up paddler and kayaker Ken Hoeve.
Conditions: The high runoff is producing fantastic conditions for river runners across Colorado. In Debeque Canyon near Grand Junction, the Big Sur standing wave has reappeared on the Colorado River for the first time since 2011. It forms when the water is running above 20,000 cfs, and it’s now at 26,000 cfs.
Today’s weather: Mostly sunny, with a high near 63. South southeast wind 5 to 15 mph becoming west northwest in the afternoon. — National Weather Service
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: On The Hill
- Activewear company Liquido ticketed, faces fines for Hanging Lake conduct
- Vail Valley Foundation announces free concert lineup for Vail and Eagle
- ‘Poop patrol’ aims to fix park waste issue
- Occupants escape car after it goes into Crystal River near Carbondale
- Vail Daily guest column: Dog rescued from shelter now saves humans’ lives