Phone scams target Eagle County residents
May 8, 2014
EAGLE COUNTY — The Eagle County Sheriff's Office has received several complaints regarding telephone scams from residents. The scam involves a caller stating that they work for the Sheriff's Office and that a warrant has been issued for the individual answering the telephone. The caller then states that the individual will be arrested if a fine is not immediately paid. Further complicating the matter is that the calls appear to be legitimate phone numbers, but are, in fact, bogus as technology is being used to make it appear to be from a local number.
These requests are not legitimate and do not originate from the Eagle County Sheriff's Office or other related agencies. The Eagle County Sheriff's Office would like to remind citizens to beware of telephone and mail scams. When you send money to people you do not know personally or give personal or financial information to unknown callers, you significantly increase your chances of becoming a victim.
It is a crime for anyone to falsely represent himself or herself as law enforcement and such an offense is taken very seriously. Persons receiving such a telephone call or delivered mail should not provide the requested information or pay any fines without confirming accuracy of the request first. If you believe it is a scam you should contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
If you think you may have any information about the suspects or this crime, call the Eagle County Sheriff's Office at 970-328-8500.
Trending In: Regional
- Colorado’s Constitutional conundrum: Gallagher vs. TABOR amendments, and what it means for us
- Four Seasons sale is CBRE’s second Vail price record
- Gypsum adds motocross track to its list of city parks
- Grateful Steadys say thanks to the man who gave their lives back
- Kaiser Permanente offering door-to-door medical care
- Armed carjacking near Red Cliff has police searching for two suspects
- Avon video game store robbed; police searching for suspect
- Vonn returning to Vail; extends career one more season
- Lots of factors play into decline of Mexican travelers in Vail
- Training for Trump: Air Force at Eagle County airport for high altitude flight training