10K at 10K is Sunday on Vail Mountain
August 21, 2013
VAIL — The La Sportiva Vail Mountain Trail Running series continues Sunday with the 10K@10,000 Feet trail-running race and the second annual 5K@10,000 Feet.
Both races begin at 9 a.m. at the top of the Eagle Bahn Gondola at Eagle's Nest on Vail Mountain and taking place at 10,000 feet above sea level with the high point at nearly 11,000 feet.
The average grade of the 10K is 7 percent with an elevation gain of 1,172 feet, while the shorter 5K is less challenging and will allow runners the chance to experience racing at such an impressive altitude. Both races will end at Eagle's Nest at the top of the mountain.
Individual race costs are $29 for preregistration or $39 on race-day. Registration is available by going to http://www.vailrec.com or by calling 970-479-2280. Bib pickup and registration will also be available from 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday at Christy Sports in Vail Village.
Day-of registration will occur from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. at the Eagle Bahn Gondola in Lionshead. Spectators and racers are encouraged to park in the Lionshead parking structure where parking is free for the summer. The Eagle Bahn Gondola in Lionshead will operate from 8 to 9 a.m. for race-day spectators and will be free.
Those who miss the early ride time will be required to purchase a one-day scenic gondola ride when it reopens at 10 a.m. The gondola also will be free for race participants and spectators to download following the race.
Recommended Stories For You
Columbia will be providing all running participants with a T-shirt. Prizes also will be presented to the top-three finishers of each age group at each race, with series prizes awarded to the top-three finishers who compete in at least five events. La Sportiva will provide winners of each age category a pair of mountain-running shoes of their choice. Raffle prize drawings also will be held at each race awards ceremony featuring products from area merchants and national companies.
The final race of the season, the EverGold 5K and 11K, is scheduled for 10 a.m. on Sept. 15 and will feature single and doubletrack trails from the Vail Golf Club to Vail Mountain and back.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Vail Mountain School volleyball rolls past North Park
- Battle Mountain soccer survives Stubler and Glenwood Springs
- Vail Valley preps golf: Jones and Sapp make the state tournament
- Vail Valley preps: Our first look (and commentary) on the RPI
- Evergreen forces 5 turnovers, cruises to win over Eagle Valley
- Truck driver dies in fiery Vail Pass crash that closed Interstate 70 for hours Thursday and Friday
- Eagle County Sheriff’s Office identifies 22-year-old arrested in connection with alleged public masturbation
- Cost is in on Ben Harper’s Avon concert: a loss of $68K
- Eagle bike/motorcycle accident detailed in Crime Stoppers alert resolved
- Letter: No luck with customer service at USPS in Vail