Eagle Valley tops Summit, 4-1
March 10, 2014
GYPSUM — Eagle Valley girls soccer showed some mettle, bouncing back from a tough loss to Battle Mountain on Thursday by routing Summit County, 4-1, on Saturday at Hot Stuff Stadium in Gypsum.
"I guess it was a bit of motivation to keep their heads high," Devils coach Stephen Baxter said.
Sophomore Devon Green scored Eagle Valley's first goal, and Mariel Gutierrez took care of the rest with a hat trick.
"With just one day of practice, we just got back to the basic fundamentals," Baxter said. "We worked on distributing the ball to the outside and give-and-gos."
And Eagle Valley (1-1 overall and 1-1 in the 4A Slope) looked much better for it.
The Devils head to Middle Park on Tuesday for nonconference action.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, firstname.lastname@example.org and on Twitter@cfreud.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Colorado’s fourth 14er death of 2017 renews drive to educate hikers of risks
- Florida man busted in pair of Eagle County carfentanil overdose deaths
- Colorado looking at average individual insurance rate increase of 27 percent
- Dogs of Vail: This town has gone to the dogs — from hotels to bars, dogs are welcome
- Vail Daily letter: Anti-Trump sign inappropriate for Fourth of July parade