Eagle Valley tops Summit, 4-1
March 10, 2014
GYPSUM — Eagle Valley girls soccer showed some mettle, bouncing back from a tough loss to Battle Mountain on Thursday by routing Summit County, 4-1, on Saturday at Hot Stuff Stadium in Gypsum.
"I guess it was a bit of motivation to keep their heads high," Devils coach Stephen Baxter said.
Sophomore Devon Green scored Eagle Valley's first goal, and Mariel Gutierrez took care of the rest with a hat trick.
"With just one day of practice, we just got back to the basic fundamentals," Baxter said. "We worked on distributing the ball to the outside and give-and-gos."
And Eagle Valley (1-1 overall and 1-1 in the 4A Slope) looked much better for it.
The Devils head to Middle Park on Tuesday for nonconference action.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934, firstname.lastname@example.org and on Twitter@cfreud.
Trending In: Sports
- Gypsum woman wins $100,000 from lottery
- Steadman Clinic, Vail Valley Medical Center unveil $68M expansion
- Ritz Bachelor Gulch owner opts to fight felony charges
- Vail police see increase in fraudulent ski passes
- Probation sentence for seven-time DUI offender highlights prosecutors’ frustration over recent law change