Germany’s Rebensburg captures GS at Aspen
November 26, 2011
ASPEN, Colorado – Viktoria Rebensburg of Germany has won a World Cup giant slalom, making up nearly a second on the final run to hold off Elisabeth Goergl of Austria.
Julia Mancuso finished third to become the first American to wind up on the podium at this venue since 2004.
Rebensburg flew through the course in a combined time of 2 minutes, 11.25 seconds, edging Goergl by 0.33 seconds. It was Rebensburg’s fourth World Cup win – all in the giant slalom.
Her teammate, reigning overall World Cup champion Maria Hoefl-Riesch, caught an edge on her final run, skidded off course and didn’t finish.
Lindsey Vonn, who was well back in 21st place after the first run, charged down the challenging course and finished 12th. She’s been bothered by a sore back.
News from across the Web
Trending In: Sports
- Eagle boarder cited for unlawful acts in case of dog killed by mountain lion
- Eagle, homeowner team up on grant request to tear down Broadway house
- American Airlines will have daily air service from Dallas to Eagle County
- Vail Mountain School commencement embraces future, as well as past
- Alleged internet predator arrested, jailed for sex with 13-year-old girl