Huskies and Devils spikers meet today
September 20, 2013
Thursday was a winning day for Eagle County volleyball. Eagle Valley, Battle Mountain and Vail Christian all rang up victories, and there just might be a little get-together today at 2 p.m. among unbeatens in the 4A Slope in Gypsum.
Devils win on road
First league road game? No problem.
Eagle Valley volleyball took their show on the road to Summit County and took down the Tigers, 25-16, 25-16, 22-25, 25-21.
That's 3-0 in the 4A Western Slope and 3-1 overall for the Devils. What pleased coach Garrett La Force was that Eagle Valley had a very diversified attack. Ashley Newborn, Jaimee Rindi, Lacey Gerard and Morgan Murphy all had eight or more kills each.
Recommended Stories For You
Next up is Battle Mountain coming to town. If you have older schedules, the match has been moved to 2 p.m. because of ACTs.
"I don't look at Battle Mountain any differently than I do Summit, Glenwood or Delta," La Force said. "It's just one more match. Each match is as important as the rest of them."
Huskies sweep Glenwood
Battle Mountain swamped Glenwood Springs, 25-18, 25-8, 25-23, Thursday night pushing its league mark to 3-0.
With a lopsided win, coach Jason Fitzgerald got a good look at different players in different places. Jordan Brant had a great night at opposite hitter, while Jessica Cuomo came up big behind the service line and was clutch as a defensive specialist.
If we haven't mentioned it yet, Battle Mountain is at Eagle Valley today.
"Both teams are tied at 3-0 league, so it should be a great matchup," Fitzgerald said. "It's not going to be hard for us to focus and get fired up. We are looking at the point last year where we fell off the rail. We're hoping that we don't make that mistake this year."
Saints down Hayden
Vail Christian volleyball got the whole gang together for the first time this season and zapped Hayden, 25-22, 25-23, 25-21.
Thursday was the debut for Baylee Weimer and Sara Coulter and the Saints didn't skip a beat. The Saints are 7-3 and host West Grand Tuesday in a league game.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Vail Valley preps golf: Jones and Sapp make the state tournament
- Vail Valley preps: Our first look (and commentary) on the RPI
- Juan Macias lifts Battle Mountain Huskies over Steamboat Springs Sailors
- Vail Valley preps wrap for Tuesday, Sept. 19: Devils soccer; Huskies volleyball
- Vail Mountain School volleyball rolls past North Park
- Eagle County Sheriff’s Office identifies 22-year-old arrested in connection with alleged public masturbation
- UPDATE: Eastbound lanes of Interstate 70 near Vail will close again Friday morning to remove crashed semi
- Arvada woman pleads not guilty in Eagle County crash that killed two of her children
- Colorado police on the hunt for ‘The Mad Pooper’ — aka the poop-and-run jogger
- CDOT begins cleanup of 25-ton rock in Dowd Junction, lane closures expected