Huskies’ Currie tops spikers’ honor roll
November 14, 2012
EDWARDS – Battle Mountain volleyball was busy Saturday.
The ladies went down to the soccer state championship game at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park to watch the Palmer Ridge game. The spikers then headed just down Interstate 70 to the Denver Coliseum for the 4A state volleyball championship between Cheyenne Mountain and Lewis-Palmer.
“For us, it came down to being a bridesmaid this year, and it left us hungry,” Huskies coach Jason Fitzgerald said. “The returning girls recognize that they’re close. With a little more effort this offseason and during the season, we could be there.”
The good news for Huskies volleyball is that it’s bringing back three all-league sections to next year’s team.
Junior LaRose Currie made the 4A Western Slope’s first team, while sophomores Mackenzie Ellison and Maddie Perkins were honorable mention picks. With a postseason haul like that, the Huskies are ready for the 2013 season opener right now.
Battle Mountain wasn’t the only local squad honored.
Recommended Stories For You
For Eagle Valley, senior outside hitter Maddie McGinty and junior libero Raya Green nabbed all-league honorable mention honors.
“Maddie came back from a torn ACL, so for her to come back to form was pretty remarkable,” Devils coach Shawn Weatherred said. “Raya was our most improved player throughout the year. She really began to stand out on the court.”
Back in Edwards, Vail Christian had two payers on the 2A Western Slope honor roll. Paris Baker (middle blocker) and Gracen McGuckin (setter) both made it.
“They were both captains,” Vail Christian coach Cathy Alexander said. “They did a great job.”
The Vail Mountain School is not releasing its all-league selections because it is waiting for its banquet in December, but still has news. Ellen Edgerton, libero extraordinaire, has been named to play in the Colorado Coaches of Girls Sports All-State Game this weekend.
Her coach for that match will be none other than Mike Garvey.
“I’m thinking of trying her at middle blocker,” Garvey joked.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Vail Mountain School Gore Rangers boys soccer beats Basalt; playoffs still a possibility
- Battle Mountain Huskies, Eagle Valley Devils cross-county ready for regional meet
- Freud: Several days later and it’s still mystifying how the Broncos lost
- Column: Systemic stress, and how it leads to overall fitness
- Battle Mountain Huskies soccer on top of the Slope heap … again
- Morrie Shepard, Vail’s first ski school director, has taken his last lift ride
- Steadman Clinic knee surgeon Dr. Robert LaPrade uses Facebook Live to demonstrate orthopedic procedures to a global audience
- Sonnenalp’s Solar Vail proposal could add 65 deed-restricted apartments at a cost of $4.2M to town of Vail
- Letter: Elimination of Vail Health pediatric doctors will impact children of valley
- Disposable plastic bags vanishing in Avon; point-of-sale ban goes into effect May 1