Laettner hosting Edwards basketball clinic
January 3, 2013
EDWARDS, Colorado – Former NBA All-Star and Olympic Dream Team gold medalist Christian Laettner is hosting a weekend basketball clinic at Vail Christian High School.
The clinic runs Saturday afternoon and is open to the public.
Laettner also helped the Duke Blue Devils win two NCAA men’s basketball titles.
“We are looking forward to partnering with a great program there in Vail,” Laettner said in an email.
Laettner complimented Vail Christian Coach Sheldon Kuhn’s work with the Saints program.
“Coach Kuhns has done a great job in building their basketball programs. We hope to add to what they are doing with this special event,” Laettner said.
Recommended Stories For You
Saturday’s academy will cover passing, ball handling and offensive and defensive strategies. The Saints will get private clinics with Laettner and his staff prior to the public session in the afternoon.
“Vail Christian is very happy to partner with basketball legend Christian Laettner, to work with and train our basketball athletes and local Vail Valley athletes as well,” Kuhns said. “The opportunity to have Christian Laettner here, with his experience in playing basketball at the highest level, is an opportunity of a lifetime. We hope that by him being here, it will further promote our community basketball programs at all levels.”
This weekend’s workouts at Vail Christian are designed to help players improve their ball handling and passing, while increasing their understanding of offensive and defensive concepts.
The Christian Laettner Basketball Academy is based in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. Laettner and his staff travel to schools across the country.
Vail Christian High School is a co-ed private school that offers a four-year college-preparatory program for student in grades 9-12.
The school opened in the fall of 1998 and began as a ministry of Gracious Savior Lutheran Church.
Staff Writer Randy Wyrick can be reached at 970-748-2935 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Two races in, Vail’s Sam Brown leads Colorado High School Cycling League
- Eagle-Vail’s Josiah Middaugh earns Xterra overall tour win
- Devils boys, Huskies girls win at Eagle Valley Invite
- Juan Macias lifts Battle Mountain Huskies over Steamboat Springs Sailors
- Vail Mountain School goes the distance with Meeker
- Eagle County Sheriff’s Office: Man arrested after report of masturbation in Miller Ranch Open Space in Edwards
- American Airlines to start all-year, daily service from Dallas-Fort Worth to Eagle County’s airport
- Speed limits on I-70 through Glenwood Canyon could go as low as 30 mph with new technology
- Relatives identify Fort Collins family killed in plane crash north of Glenwood Springs
- After 44 surgeries and an amputation, Marines veteran Sgt. Kirstie Ennis given a new Glenwood Springs home