Late preps: Devils down Glenwood, 53-42
February 22, 2013
GRAND JUNCTION – One rematch down, one to go.
Eagle Valley and Glenwood boys basketball have really gotten to know each other this season. The Devils and Demons met for the fourth time this season Thursday night in the district quarterfinals at Central High School in Grand Junction, and Eagle Valley came away with its fourth win against Glenwood, 53-42, to earn another rematch.
The Devils face Palisade today at 4:30 p.m. at Colorado Mesa University in the semifinals.
While coach Jim Bair isn’t doing handsprings over it yet – his comment was, “Let’s win some more games,” – Eagle Valley (15-5) did punch its ticket to state with the victory.
The Demons got back the services Collin Porterfield, while the Devils welcomed the return of Ayren Hart.
“He played limited minutes,” Bair said. “They were good minutes, though. It was nice to have him back.”
Recommended Stories For You
Next up on the agenda is seeding for the state tournament, and that means meeting No. 3 with Palisade. The Devils are glad of this reunion as the Bulldogs swept the season series.
“We need to be careful with the basketball,” Bair said. “We have to play possession basketball. If you ask 50 coaches about the key to the game, 40 of them will say that, but it’s true. Palisade is very aggressive. They hit the boards and are hard-nosed defensively. We have to cherish every possession.”
Durango 52, Battle Mountain 33
GRAND JUNCTION – Durango is not the No. 1 seed at the district tournament for nothing.
The Demons jumped on Battle Mountain boys basketball in the first quarter of their district quarterfinal game Thursday, and didn’t let go on the way to a 52-33 win at Colorado Mesa University.
“By far, that’s the best basketball team we’ve seen this year,” Huskies coach Tom Padilla said. “They’re very worthy of the No. 1 seed.”
The Huskies (9-12) are still very much alive in the state chase at districts. They play Montrose today at 4:30 p.m. at Central High School. The Indians (8-13) bowed to Palisade, 60-53, Thursday night.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934 or email@example.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Vail Valley preps golf: Jones and Sapp make the state tournament
- Vail Valley preps: Our first look (and commentary) on the RPI
- Juan Macias lifts Battle Mountain Huskies over Steamboat Springs Sailors
- Vail Valley preps wrap for Tuesday, Sept. 19: Devils soccer; Huskies volleyball
- Freud on the NFL: The Broncos pass first test, but there are more on the horizon
- Eagle County Sheriff’s Office identifies 22-year-old arrested in connection with alleged public masturbation
- UPDATE: Eastbound lanes of Interstate 70 near Vail will close again Friday morning to remove crashed semi
- Arvada woman pleads not guilty in Eagle County crash that killed two of her children
- Colorado police on the hunt for ‘The Mad Pooper’ — aka the poop-and-run jogger
- CDOT begins cleanup of 25-ton rock in Dowd Junction, lane closures expected