Moltzan, Ghent shine in Nor-Am GS at Vail
December 17, 2013
VAIL — On the heels of the men's and women's World Cups comes the FIS Alpine Nor-Am Cup hosted by Ski & Snowboard Club Vail at Golden Peak. The event kicked off Sunday with the women's giant slalom, the start of a six-day series featuring two giant slalom and two slalom races each for men and women.
Sunday's women's GS was a great day for the Norwegian women with Chloe Margrethe Fausa topping the podium and Kristine Gjelsten Haugen taking third overall. It was a thriller for locals as Ski & Snowboard Club Vail alumni and U.S. Ski Team members Paula Moltzan and Abby Ghent took second and fifth, respectively, overall. U.S. Ski Team member Foreste Peterson took fourth overall.
Representing the juniors, Moltzan took first, Peterson second and Candace Crawford third.
A number of Ski & Snowboard Club Vail current and alumni athletes will race in Vail this week at the Nor-Am Cup, the gateway to the World Cup. Come on down and cheer the local racers. Volunteers are always needed with no experience necessary. See http://www.skiclubvail.org.
The Nor-Am Cup race schedule in Vail at Golden Peak this week is as follows:
Women's giant slalom: Monday.
Men's/women's slalom: Tuesday and Wednesday.
Men's giant slalom: Thursday and Friday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Vail Daily letter: Response to: ‘Political sign inappropriate for Vail parade’
- Outpouring of support begins for Eagle bartender Dita Richterova
- The town of Vail looks at revising, tightening its rent-by-owner regulations
- Minturn man gets 20 to 40 years in prison for shooting at cops during robbery