Moltzan, Ghent shine in Nor-Am GS at Vail
December 17, 2013
VAIL — On the heels of the men's and women's World Cups comes the FIS Alpine Nor-Am Cup hosted by Ski & Snowboard Club Vail at Golden Peak. The event kicked off Sunday with the women's giant slalom, the start of a six-day series featuring two giant slalom and two slalom races each for men and women.
Sunday's women's GS was a great day for the Norwegian women with Chloe Margrethe Fausa topping the podium and Kristine Gjelsten Haugen taking third overall. It was a thriller for locals as Ski & Snowboard Club Vail alumni and U.S. Ski Team members Paula Moltzan and Abby Ghent took second and fifth, respectively, overall. U.S. Ski Team member Foreste Peterson took fourth overall.
Representing the juniors, Moltzan took first, Peterson second and Candace Crawford third.
A number of Ski & Snowboard Club Vail current and alumni athletes will race in Vail this week at the Nor-Am Cup, the gateway to the World Cup. Come on down and cheer the local racers. Volunteers are always needed with no experience necessary. See http://www.skiclubvail.org.
The Nor-Am Cup race schedule in Vail at Golden Peak this week is as follows:
Women's giant slalom: Monday.
Men's/women's slalom: Tuesday and Wednesday.
Men's giant slalom: Thursday and Friday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Colorado’s fourth 14er death of 2017 renews drive to educate hikers of risks
- Florida man busted in pair of Eagle County carfentanil overdose deaths
- Colorado looking at average individual insurance rate increase of 27 percent
- Vail Daily letter: Add more parking? Reduce the speed limit?
- Breaking: Interstate 70 eastbound near Dowd Junction reopened