Running series to begin this month
May 8, 2013
VAIL — The Vail Recreation District's La Sportiva Trail Running Series returns for its 16th year this summer and will offer runners 52 miles and 16,475 vertical feet in elevation gain on scenic trails on Vail and Beaver Creek mountains, as well as in Eagle.
The series will take place Saturdays and Sundays and distances will range from 5 kilometers (3.2 miles) to 13.1 miles.
The seven-race series will feature singletrack, mountain roads and doubletrack and offer runners spectacular scenery throughout the summer. The first race, the Boneyard Boogie 10K trail run, is at 9 a.m. on May 18 in Eagle and takes runners on a fun, winding single track on Bureau of Land Management trails surrounding Eagle.
The race series will then take runners to Beaver Creek for the Summer Solstice 5K, 10K and Kid's Fun Run on June 22, a benefit for the Vail Valley Charitable Fund. July 6 is the 37th running of the Vail Hill Climb and will take runners from the base of Vail Mountain to Eagle's Nest for 7.5 miles of uphill running. On July 21, runners will be challenged during the Vail Half Marathon, taking runners on a demanding 13.1-mile run on Vail Mountain.
Following the Vail Half Marathon is the Berry Picker (Aug. 4), the 5K and 10K@10,000 Feet trail run (Aug. 25) and the EverGold 5K and 11K (Sept. 15). A full listing and details are available by going to http://www.vailrec.com.
Individual race costs are $29 for preregistration or $39 on race-day. Summer Solstice registration is $35 for preregistration and $45 for day-of. Runners also can register for the entire race series for $180 by May 16. Registration is available online at http://www.active.com.
Recommended Stories For You
"We're excited to offer trail runners of all levels an opportunity to explore what makes Vail and its surrounding communities such a special place," said the VRD's new trail running series race director, Steve Croucher.
Prizes go to the top three finishers of each age group at each race, with series prizes awarded to the top-three finishers who compete in at least five events.
For more information or to become a race series sponsor, call the VRD Sports Department at 970-479-2280.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Palisade runs past Battle Mountain Huskies football, 42-3
- Vail Christian Saints beat Falcons, get first league win
- Battle Mountain Huskies girls cross-country cruises to regional win — its seventh straight
- Column: Heart rate variability and how it can impact your workout
- Battle Mountain Huskies, Eagle Valley Devils cross-county ready for regional meet
- Developers of treatment center sue Cordillera residents for ‘discriminating against addictions’
- Save an Eagle. Break a Rib: Rosie Shearwood honored for 45-year fight against Adam’s Rib
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush’ reality show, ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- Vail parking pass sales begin Oct. 30 with incentives for early purchases
- Vail Health chief medical officer: Clarifying pediatric care changes at hospital (column)