Saints volleyball wins three
September 29, 2012
EDWARDS – To say that this has been a year of adjustment for Vail Christian volleyball would be a serious understatement.
The Saints saw their libero (McKenzie O’Brien), setter (Kylie Alexander) and top outside hitter (Ashyln Gruber) graduate last spring. Those three were the basis upon which everything ran for the last few years.
Last week, setter Kyra Webb went down with a strained MCL and should be out 2-4 weeks. Then toss in that Celia Smith and Bella McCormick, transfers from Battle Mountain, became eligible this weekend, and one might think Vail Christian’s got a mess on its hands.
Actually, the kids did just fine.
Vail Christian went 3-0 this weekend. The Saints took North Park in five Friday, and captured a Saturday twinbill beating Hotchkiss in four and sweeping Plateau Valley. With the three wins, the Saints are above .500 again at 6-5 and 2-3 in the 2A Slope.
“We’re using different lineups for different opponents,” Saints coach Cathy Alexander said. “It was a good midseason check to see where we are.”
Vail Christian host Soroco Tuesday for its Homecoming game at 6 p.m.
Sports Editor Chris Freud can be reached at 970-748-2934 or email@example.com.
News from across the Web
Trending In: Sports
- Armed carjacking near Red Cliff has police searching for two suspects
- Avon video game store robbed; police searching for suspect
- Vonn returning to Vail; extends career one more season
- Lots of factors play into decline of Mexican travelers in Vail
- Training for Trump: Air Force at Eagle County airport for high altitude flight training