Vail Daily column: You can be part of the competition
January 1, 2014
This time of year is always very exciting as Ski & Snowboard Club athletes see the fruits of their labors in early season competition results. This is also a very exciting time of year as we ramp up for our three community-wide competition series for snowsports enthusiasts of all ages and abilities.
• The Steadman Clinic Vail Cup Series: 1998 birth year and younger.
• Vail Summit Orthaepodics Alpine Town Series: Adults 21 and older.
• Vail Summit Orthaepodics Nordic Town Series: All ages.
The Steadman Clinic Vail Cup
Free to all kids 15 and younger, the Vail Cup, the Valley’s youth competition series, has been in existence since 1963. It provides all youth 1998 birth year and younger with the opportunity to compete in a complimentary four-part competition series, whether or not they are a part of Ski & Snowboard Club Vail, residents of the valley or visiting for holidays. We are most grateful for the support of The Steadman Clinic in making this series possible.
Although the competitions have evolved over the past 50 years, the pride and smiles on the faces of these youngsters have not as they challenge themselves to achieve their personal bests. Although awards are given out to the top five in each age group, it is clear that everyone is a winner! Register at http://www.vailcup.com. All participants receive complimentary entry, a souvenir competition bib and gift bag!
Each Vail Cup offers two competitions:
• Jan. 19: Slopestyle and giant slalom.
• Feb. 2: Little big mountain and giant slalom.
• Feb. 16: Halfpipe and moguls.
• March 16: Nordic and giant slalom (barbecue).
Vail Summit Orthopaedics Town Series
Over the years many changes have occurred in the Town Series, including the addition of telemark and snowboard categories to the alpine races and the creation of a Nordic series. The series has truly evolved into a community race, open to all ages, abilities and snowsports. We are very thankful for Vail Summit Orthopaedics’ generosity in making both of these town series possible.
Vail Summit Orthopaedics Alpine Town Series
The Alpine Town Series for skiers, snowboarders and telemarkers age 21-plus has been a local favorite for over 40 years. No experience is necessary nor is a speed suit, although we have seen a few out there from time to time.
Whether you are racing giant slalom, slalom or super-G, the nominal registration fee not only gives you bragging rights, but also complimentary entry to a fun apres awards party hosted at a favorite local establishment.
Participants can compete individually or put together a team in one of two categories: Pro (for alpine racers only) and Motley Crew (for any combination of competitors). Awards go to the top men’s and ladies’ finishers in each discipline at each event. Overall and Town Champions are crowned at the end of the series.
The race start is 1 p.m. followed by a complimentary apres awards party at 5 p.m. Registration is $10 per race per person; $50 per series per person; $250 per team of six.
• Jan. 9: Gold Peak giant slalom; The George*.
• Jan. 16: Gold Peak giant slalom-Manor Vail; The Fitz*.
• Jan. 23: Gold Peak giant slalom; Pazzo’s Vail*.
• Jan. 30: Gold Peak giant slalom; The Red Lion*.
• Feb. 6: Black Forest pro slalom; Pazzo’s Vail*.
• Feb. 13: Afterthought giant slalom; Manor Vail, The Fitz*.
• Feb. 27: Black Forest pro slalom; The Red Lion*.
• March 13: Gold Peak giant slalom and Super G; The George*.
*Location of apres awards party
Vail Summit Orthopaedics Nordic Town Series
A recent addition to our local series, following the construction of the Maloit Park Nordic Trails, is the Nordic Town Series which includes freestyle, classic and relays. With a lower/middle school start at 4:15 p.m. and an adult/high school start at 5:15 p.m., this series is truly something anyone can participate in with no experience necessary. Apres snacks and awards take place at Vail Ski & Snowboard Academy adjacent to the Nordic trails. Simply register the day of the event at VSSA. It’s $10 for adults and high schoolers, $5 for lower and middle school students.
• Jan. 15: Maloit Park in Minturn.
• Jan. 29: Maloit Park in Minturn.
• Feb. 19: Maloit Park in Minturn.
• March 12: Maloit Park in Minturn (Minturn Town Championships).
There’s not a better way to start the new year than to take on an exciting and fun challenge (or get back out there for our returning enthusiasts) by becoming part of one or more of our community-wide competitions series! Pursue your love of snowsports while having fun with fellow enthusiasts — that’s a big part of why we live here, isn’t it?