A tractor-trailer rig carrying frozen food on westbound Interstate 70 Thursday afternoon caught fire, engulfing the trailer in flames and temporarily closing the highway in both directions due to heavy smoke. Vail Fire Department Lt. Jim Rabidue said the rig’s brakes overheated, sparking a fire in the trailer. The driver was able to stop the rig and separate the truck from the trailer, which was a total loss. Rabidue said there were no injuries, and no fuel spilled from the truck, but westbound traffic was backed up for some time due to the fire.
Photo: Truck fire on Vail Pass
Trending in: Ticker
- Vail's Buddy Lazier is running his 19th Indianapolis 500, on the 20th anniversary of his 1996 win
- As cannabis becomes more mainstream, couples start incorporating it in weddings
- Vail Christian High School's Class of 2016 challenged to carry God's love with them
- Traditions continue at VMS commencement
- Sabel finishes 'great run' as Vilar director