A tractor-trailer rig carrying frozen food on westbound Interstate 70 Thursday afternoon caught fire, engulfing the trailer in flames and temporarily closing the highway in both directions due to heavy smoke. Vail Fire Department Lt. Jim Rabidue said the rig’s brakes overheated, sparking a fire in the trailer. The driver was able to stop the rig and separate the truck from the trailer, which was a total loss. Rabidue said there were no injuries, and no fuel spilled from the truck, but westbound traffic was backed up for some time due to the fire.
Photo: Truck fire on Vail Pass
Trending in: Ticker
- Vail Mountain gets OK to replace Chair 4
- Authorities still awaiting lab tests on human remains found in Garfield County
- Winter Mountain Games ‘delayed’ until 2016
- West Fork fire grows to 70,000 acres in Colorado, cabins threatened
- Vail offers tips for Fourth of July