Dec 9-15 is Computer Science Education Week.
Celebrate by taking one hour to learn to code. Try it yourself or challenge your kids to do the same (they will likely do better than you!). This is a program lead by Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, with endorsement from President Obama, and many others. http://code.org/learn
Did you know these facts?
• There will be 1 million more computer science jobs than students by 2020.
• Sixty percent of math and science jobs are for computer science, yet only 2.4 percent of students enroll in computer science.
• Only 15 percent of those few students are women and 8 percent are students of color.
• Fifty-seven percent of bachelor’s degrees are earned by women, just 12 percent of computer science degrees are awarded to women.
• In 36 of 50 states, computer science doesn’t count toward high school graduation math or science requirements.
I have sent a request to the Eagle Valley public school principals to encourage their teachers in letting students take just one hour to learn to code. If the schools are not able to teach your children, you can. Take just one hour a week to sit down with your kids and do cool things like write a computer game of your own!