High Altitude Society column: Annual Scramble Against Cancer golf tournament a success
July 14, 2013
Touted as one of the most glorious decks in the entire Eagle River Valley, Balata Restaurant's deck at the Sonnenalp Golf Club lived up to its reputation on Monday night with outstanding views and great ambiance. It may have had something to do with the quality folks who came together to golf, toast with Moet and dine to help in the fight cancer. In the past 14 years, the Scramble Against Cancer Golf Tournament has raised over $1.5 million for the Sonnenalp of Vail Foundation. From all accounts, hostess Rosana Faessler is a hero to many for her unyielding commitment to the community.
Medical director of the Sonnenalp Breast Center, Dr. Jan Ugale said, "From the beginning Rosana has always asked, 'What do you want next?' Being a very astute businesswoman, Rosana has always asked me why the equipment was appropriate. It keeps us honest because we make sure that we get the very best because Rosana wants the very best."
Dr. Ugale golfed in the signature event golf tournament with Dr. Wayne Wenzel and her colleagues from Denver. As many golfers do on any given day on the Sonnenalp links, Dr. Ugale took a moment to soak up the scenery and take in her environs.
"I golfed today and on one tee I looked around and thought … I cannot believe that this place is where I work," she said. Ugale also had one more far reaching compliment for the exemplary host and the Sonnenalp Breast Center. "I look at what I work with and Rosana and the rest of the community, and you cannot find anything better across the whole country," Ugale said.
Faessler later addressed the crowd stating, "We had a great turnout and great weather, as always, and I would like to toast to the new 3D mammogram machine. It is running, it is on … and, it is unbelievable. Very few people in the country have it and we are the only one in Colorado to have the pleasure of using this equipment. So, thank you for all the support and come see Dr. Ugale and her girls."
The community is fortunate to have the most current state-of-the-art 3D mammography system, which saves lives and reduces the need for follow-up imaging.
To make an appointment at the Sonnenalp Breast Center call 970-569-7690.
Trending In: Columns
- Slackliner Mickey Wilson, in his owns words, reflects on Arapahoe Basin Ski Area rescue
- Vail Daily column: Competition season continues
- Vail Daily column: A short, meaningful life, and why the duck race matters
- Ask a Vail sports medicine doc: Tibial plateau fractures a common skiing injury
- Biff America column: An uncomfortable groin tingle while riding in the desert
- Skier dies at Loveland Ski Area Friday
- Tennis sensation Venus Williams orbits into Vail’s Homestead Court Club
- PHOTOS: Lindsey Vonn skis with avalanche dogs on Vail Mountain
- How 85-year-old Ruby Stein and her cat survived five frigid days stranded south of Gypsum
- Changing of the guard: Trio of local restaurants shift management, ownership