Take Mom back in time with the new annuals
May 12, 2013
The bright retro colors bursting into home decor are also making a strong statement in this year's annual flower displays. And they could be a pleasing and long-lasting gift for mom.
With yummy names like Pineapple Punch and Pumpkin Spice, bright container combos are eye candy you wish you could eat. "Punch" has a bright mix of yellow petunias, white verbena and bidens — a daisy-like flower that spills over the edge. The pumpkin mix bursts with orange tones made up of orange flash petunias, peach verbena and mango calibrachoa. Can we make this a sorbet?
Other colors this spring also reflect the bright retro look of the '50s and '60s. Besides orange and yellow, you'll also see greens that pop fluorescent, hot, hot pinks, retro lipstick red and the deep shades of midnight blue. These colors might take mom back in time to the sock hop or the love-in!
Other flower ideas this year include traditional plants that are showing off new colors. This year, the mainstay geranium has a new look in brand-new burgundy and in another new shade of lavender mixed with rose. Many gardeners welcome these new takes on the old stand-by.
Make your annuals drought-friendly
Annuals normally do take regular doses of water, but there are things you can do to make them more drought-friendly:
• Consider more containers and fewer in-ground annuals.
• Add mulch around annuals, whether in the ground or in containers.
• Put a saucer under containers. The plant can absorb some of the water that collects in it later.
• Water and wait: Hand water all the flowers and once you've watered them all, make a second pass to add a little more water. Allow 5 to 10 minutes between each cycle of watering. By watering twice, the soil becomes more saturated.
• Water one drop at a time with drip irrigation. Drip is a great time-saver for you and the most water-efficient way to water annuals.
Becky Garber is a member of the Associated Landscape Contractors of Colorado, of which Neils Lunceford, a landscaping company, is a member. You may contact them at 970-468-0340.