A tractor-trailer rig carrying frozen food on westbound Interstate 70 Thursday afternoon caught fire, engulfing the trailer in flames and temporarily closing the highway in both directions due to heavy smoke. Vail Fire Department Lt. Jim Rabidue said the rig’s brakes overheated, sparking a fire in the trailer. The driver was able to stop the rig and separate the truck from the trailer, which was a total loss. Rabidue said there were no injuries, and no fuel spilled from the truck, but westbound traffic was backed up for some time due to the fire.
- Blaze engulfs Sweetwater structure north of Dotsero
- Thanksgiving reminds us to be grateful for all the goodness in life
- Industry leaders: Skiing cheaper than you think
- #VailLive: Updates from opening day at Beaver Creek mountain
- Five bakers vie for the cookie crown at Wednesday’s Beaver Creek Cookie Comp