Letter: Sign says ‘use both lanes to merge points,’ so lighten up
September 20, 2017
Another construction season on Interstate 70 is coming to a close, and once again, I find myself perplexed.
Off and on this summer, it was necessary to go from two lanes to one lane past construction projects. Clearly marked on orange signs by the side of the road reads, "Use both lanes to merge points." Another sign further along reads, "Merge here — take turns." Yet I have been given the finger, honked at, swerved at and even blocked by people who move part way into my lane because they are mad at me for following directions and using both lanes to merge points!
This practice is known as zipper merging, and according to Wikipedia, "In traffic engineering, the late merge or zipper method is a convention for merging traffic into a reduced number of lanes. Drivers in merging lanes are expected to use both lanes to advance to the lane reduction point and merge at that location, alternating turns." So lighten up, people! If you like merging early, go ahead! But don't get aggressive toward those of us who are just trying to follow the rules and keep traffic flowing better.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Opinion
- Vail Health chief medical officer: Clarifying pediatric care changes at hospital (column)
- Letter: Elimination of Vail Health pediatric doctors will impact children of valley
- Letter: Disagree with Millar’s statements about NFL players taking a knee
- Letter: Consider Peg Portscheller for Colorado Mountain College trustee
- Vail Daily letter: White genocide nearly imminent in South Africa
- Sign of the times: Rifle’s new K9 puppies will be trained to ignore marijuana
- Developers of treatment center sue Cordillera residents for ‘discriminating against addictions’
- Save an Eagle. Break a Rib: Rosie Shearwood honored for 45-year fight against Adam’s Rib
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush’ reality show, ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- Vail parking pass sales begin Oct. 30 with incentives for early purchases