Vail Daily letter: Avon upgrades needed
October 31, 2013
I am thrilled to vote "yes" on the Avon Recreation Center Expansion. This is Ballot Issue 2A and could not come at a more opportune time. The recreation center is ready for some upgraded showers, more space for weights and yoga, and a new waterslide after 20 years of use. Adding a 17,000-square-foot field house so that we can shoot hoops, have indoor sports leagues, maybe a kids' indoor playground and climbing wall is just what Avon recreationists need.
The Nottingham playground, restrooms and soccer field all are exhausted. If approved, Ballot Issue 2A will provide funding for replacements. How awesome these new facilities will be for our citizens and for our guests including Xterra athletes and Triple By-Pass riders.
It is a big number $12.5 million — all without a tax increase. Yes, we are voting to extend the debt we already pay in property taxes, but that is different than having property taxes increased. This is great timing for us to make a difference without new taxes. I ask that you join me and make something wonderful happen.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Florida man busted in pair of Eagle County carfentanil overdose deaths
- Vail Daily letter: Add more parking? Reduce the speed limit?
- Colorado’s fourth 14er death of 2017 renews drive to educate hikers of risks
- Breaking: Interstate 70 eastbound near Dowd Junction reopened
- Minturn man gets 20 to 40 years in prison for shooting at cops during robbery