Vail Daily letter: Hammon for commissioner
June 17, 2014
I am voting for Pat Hammon for county commissioner because she has proven herself to be an energetic, effective and thoughtful advocate for three countywide issues that are especially important to me:
• Balancing our future building and planning to enable economic growth while protecting our natural environment.
• Effective management of our long-term water rights.
• Ensuring availability of high-quality early childhood care.
Pat's extensive record of public service, starting in the U.S. Army and more recently with civic organizations in this county, has demonstrated both her leadership ability and her deep concern for the practical needs of all Eagle County residents.
Many people have written about the wide breadth of Pat's experience serving Eagle County, and I would like to focus on some of Pat's personal qualifications for commissioner. Her career of service began when, as a fledgling nurse, she was assigned to a hospital in Vietnam which received seriously wounded troops helicoptered in for treatment. Pat's innate management skills were quickly recognized; she became charge nurse for emergency victims in the triage area. Later, in Hawaii, she trained some of the first paramedics in the U.S. Needless to say, effective decision-making under pressure, working as a team, and deep concern for human needs are among the many qualities required. Eagle County is a long way from Vietnam, but those abilities, along with Pat's integrity and common sense, apply in any setting.
I seriously hope Pat Hammon's next assignment is as Eagle County commissioner, and I urge you to vote for her in the Democratic primary. (And by the way, if you have lost your primary ballot, you can get a replacement or vote in person at an office of the county Clerk and Recorder in Eagle, El Jebel, or Avon).
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Armed carjacking near Red Cliff has police searching for two suspects
- Avon video game store robbed; police searching for suspect
- Vonn returning to Vail; extends career one more season
- Lots of factors play into decline of Mexican travelers in Vail
- Training for Trump: Air Force at Eagle County airport for high altitude flight training