Vail Daily letter: Insulting to Texas
August 2, 2015
Let me get this straight. The town of Vail offers economic incentives to major airlines to have direct summer flights from Texas (Houston and Dallas) in order to promote local tourism.
Yet Sunday's front page headline seemed to celebrate the decline in gasoline prices. Hmmmm, I just wonder what (primary) industry provides the dollars for Texans to be able to travel to the Vail Valley and buy second homes here?
Then, in the same edition, Texans were ridiculed by the "enlightened" commentary of a supposed "theologian," (My View, Jack Van Ens) deriding the Texas policy on voter registration to prevent voter fraud. "Texas officials, enamored by voter fraud that virtually doesn't exist, preferred Sammie get lost in the crowd of citizens denied their right to vote." Obviously, the writer does not know the voting history of Duval County in Texas.
If local journalism wants to continue to insult a primary tourist client base, then the town of Vail might consider having airline subsidies to target other regions of the country.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush’ reality show, ‘mining for ratings,’ faces lawsuit from Park County neighbors
- Letter: Elimination of Vail Health pediatric doctors will impact children of valley
- Second rash of West Vail thieves hit at least seven unlocked vehicles
- Eagle County approves Edwards area, 120-unit 6 West Apartments plan
- Morrie Shepard, Vail’s first ski school director, has taken his last lift ride