Vail Daily letter: Lost revenue
March 24, 2014
Your coverage of the Eagle/Vail airport reads like a press release from the county. As a frequent customer of the airport I can attest that it is a good news story. However, it fails to mention the lost opportunity that significantly penalizes Eagle residents and customers of the Eagle/Vail airport. The airport provides significant service to general aviation and in the case of Eagle/Vail, this general aviation is in the form of multi-million dollar private jets that pay nothing to land at our airport. Even Aspen airport charges a landing fee. It would not take much for your reporter to establish the number of general aviation landings over the last 10 years and apply the appropriate Aspen landing fee. I would bet the lost revenue approaches $250,000.
Before the airport charges for parking, it should be adopting a landing fee for all general aviation. This revenue should be restricted to improvements in the airports facilities or to enhance the commercial service to other airports.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- One dead in apparent ATV crash in retail store parking lot in Gypsum
- Partially decomposed body found north of Eagle near Burger King
- Breaking: Mountain lion spotted near Eby Creek and U.S. Highway 6
- Town of Eagle eyes nearly $83,000 total payment to former manager
- Goat yoga — no kidding — available in Vail