Vail Daily letter: Lost revenue
March 24, 2014
Your coverage of the Eagle/Vail airport reads like a press release from the county. As a frequent customer of the airport I can attest that it is a good news story. However, it fails to mention the lost opportunity that significantly penalizes Eagle residents and customers of the Eagle/Vail airport. The airport provides significant service to general aviation and in the case of Eagle/Vail, this general aviation is in the form of multi-million dollar private jets that pay nothing to land at our airport. Even Aspen airport charges a landing fee. It would not take much for your reporter to establish the number of general aviation landings over the last 10 years and apply the appropriate Aspen landing fee. I would bet the lost revenue approaches $250,000.
Before the airport charges for parking, it should be adopting a landing fee for all general aviation. This revenue should be restricted to improvements in the airports facilities or to enhance the commercial service to other airports.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Eagle boarder cited for unlawful acts in case of dog killed by mountain lion
- Vail Mountain School commencement embraces future, as well as past
- New Eagle City Market compiles positive comments, sales tax numbers
- Real estate options in Wildridge offer privacy, open space and value (video)
- Vail Daily column: Summer paid parking in Vail?