Vail Daily letter: Lost revenue
March 24, 2014
Your coverage of the Eagle/Vail airport reads like a press release from the county. As a frequent customer of the airport I can attest that it is a good news story. However, it fails to mention the lost opportunity that significantly penalizes Eagle residents and customers of the Eagle/Vail airport. The airport provides significant service to general aviation and in the case of Eagle/Vail, this general aviation is in the form of multi-million dollar private jets that pay nothing to land at our airport. Even Aspen airport charges a landing fee. It would not take much for your reporter to establish the number of general aviation landings over the last 10 years and apply the appropriate Aspen landing fee. I would bet the lost revenue approaches $250,000.
Before the airport charges for parking, it should be adopting a landing fee for all general aviation. This revenue should be restricted to improvements in the airports facilities or to enhance the commercial service to other airports.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Minturn man gets 20 to 40 years in prison for shooting at cops during robbery
- Vail Daily letter: Add more parking? Reduce the speed limit?
- Florida man busted in pair of Eagle County carfentanil overdose deaths
- Breaking: Interstate 70 eastbound near Dowd Junction reopened
- Colorado’s fourth 14er death of 2017 renews drive to educate hikers of risks