Vail Daily letter: ‘No’ on 1B
October 19, 2016
Don't be misled by claims that Ballot Issue 1B doesn't raise taxes. It does! By extending the open space 1.5 mill levy another 15 years from 2025 to 2040 it will increase taxes about $5 million per year or a total of $75 million during that period.
The open space tax was originally passed by a very narrow margin (51 percent to 49 percent), in 2010. This is a slick manner to double the term of the original tax increase by allowing some of the money to be spent on trails. This deceptive tactic is regrettable.
Vote 'no' on 1B.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Vail Daily column: Carfentanil, a synthetic opioid, has come to Eagle County
- Landowners question Eagle’s methods, motives for river park property
- CDOT aiming to remove 25-ton boulder from road shoulder in Dowd Junction
- Eagle suspends town manager
- Area snowpack OK this year, but Vail Mountain at 62 percent of average