Vail Daily letter: ‘No’ on 1B
October 19, 2016
Don't be misled by claims that Ballot Issue 1B doesn't raise taxes. It does! By extending the open space 1.5 mill levy another 15 years from 2025 to 2040 it will increase taxes about $5 million per year or a total of $75 million during that period.
The open space tax was originally passed by a very narrow margin (51 percent to 49 percent), in 2010. This is a slick manner to double the term of the original tax increase by allowing some of the money to be spent on trails. This deceptive tactic is regrettable.
Vote 'no' on 1B.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Avon video game store robbed; police searching for suspect
- Two men found dead in El Jebel area; third person taken to hospital
- In improbable scenario, Devils topple Huskies
- Training for Trump: Air Force at Eagle County airport for high altitude flight training
- Dog dollars: Off-leash pets cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands dollars, law enforcement thousands of hours