Vail Daily letter: ‘No’ on 1B
October 19, 2016
Don't be misled by claims that Ballot Issue 1B doesn't raise taxes. It does! By extending the open space 1.5 mill levy another 15 years from 2025 to 2040 it will increase taxes about $5 million per year or a total of $75 million during that period.
The open space tax was originally passed by a very narrow margin (51 percent to 49 percent), in 2010. This is a slick manner to double the term of the original tax increase by allowing some of the money to be spent on trails. This deceptive tactic is regrettable.
Vote 'no' on 1B.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Twice is nice for Vail Mountain School skiing
- Final report released in fatal Flat Tops avalanche
- VIDEO: Venezuelan Nordic skier dubbed ‘worst skier alive’ competes at World Championships
- Will 2017 be the last year of free Vail summer parking?