Vail Daily letter: ‘No’ on Issue 2A
November 2, 2013
Avon Ballot Issue 2A proposes a new tax increase of $22,685,936 accompanied by the ability to increase the mill levy "without limitation" to satisfy the related obligation. Do not be fooled by spin. This is the increase in future Avon property taxes if the issue is not defeated.
In addition, Avon's current tax burden is significantly higher than its neighbors and competitors for real estate and shopping dollars. For example, Avon's mill levy is 20 percent higher and transfer tax double the town of Vail. Edwards has no transfer tax and a significantly lower sales tax rate.
The amount and unlimited liability of this issue, regardless of future economic conditions, should shock and scare all Avon taxpayers. A "no" vote on Avon Ballot Issue 2A is a vote for a more prosperous and competitive town of Avon and its taxpayers.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Activewear company Liquido ticketed, faces fines for Hanging Lake conduct
- Vail Valley Foundation announces free concert lineup for Vail and Eagle
- ‘Poop patrol’ aims to fix park waste issue
- Occupants escape car after it goes into Crystal River near Carbondale
- Vail Daily guest column: Dog rescued from shelter now saves humans’ lives