Vail Daily letter: Opportunity in loss
May 12, 2014
Coach Nichols of the BMHS lacrosse team demonstrated the type of leadership representative of a successful program — notwithstanding the scoreboard.
My wife, Mary Ann, and I know nothing about lacrosse and watched our only game on Friday between Battle Mountain and Aspen. We watch the local teams because of the excitement of unpredictable high school sports; we will continue to follow the local teams because of the predictable impact on young athletes by quality leaders, like Coach Nichols.
The maxim "adversity creates character" is not a cliche. The heartbreak of the Aspen outcome created a leadership opportunity. A lesser coach would have rationalized the playoff loss, which would have disrespected the opponent by dismissing their accomplishment under adversity.
With his post-game comments in the Vail Daily, Coach Nichols took advantage of the opportunity to lead one last time this season. Mary Ann and I cannot wait until next lax season. Go Huskies!
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Colorado’s fourth 14er death of 2017 renews drive to educate hikers of risks
- Florida man busted in pair of Eagle County carfentanil overdose deaths
- Colorado looking at average individual insurance rate increase of 27 percent
- Dogs of Vail: This town has gone to the dogs — from hotels to bars, dogs are welcome
- Vail Daily letter: Anti-Trump sign inappropriate for Fourth of July parade