Vail Daily letter: Opportunity in loss
May 12, 2014
Coach Nichols of the BMHS lacrosse team demonstrated the type of leadership representative of a successful program — notwithstanding the scoreboard.
My wife, Mary Ann, and I know nothing about lacrosse and watched our only game on Friday between Battle Mountain and Aspen. We watch the local teams because of the excitement of unpredictable high school sports; we will continue to follow the local teams because of the predictable impact on young athletes by quality leaders, like Coach Nichols.
The maxim "adversity creates character" is not a cliche. The heartbreak of the Aspen outcome created a leadership opportunity. A lesser coach would have rationalized the playoff loss, which would have disrespected the opponent by dismissing their accomplishment under adversity.
With his post-game comments in the Vail Daily, Coach Nichols took advantage of the opportunity to lead one last time this season. Mary Ann and I cannot wait until next lax season. Go Huskies!
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Vail Daily letter: A compliment for the community, a critique for the paper
- Breaking: Interstate 70 eastbound reopened between main, East Vail exits
- Eagle town manager placed on ‘indefinite paid administrative leave’
- David Walder, of Edwards, died Monday in Sweetwater Jeep rollover accident
- Arapahoe Basin volunteer ski patrol program finished after at least 4 decades