Vail Daily letter: Opportunity in loss
May 12, 2014
Coach Nichols of the BMHS lacrosse team demonstrated the type of leadership representative of a successful program — notwithstanding the scoreboard.
My wife, Mary Ann, and I know nothing about lacrosse and watched our only game on Friday between Battle Mountain and Aspen. We watch the local teams because of the excitement of unpredictable high school sports; we will continue to follow the local teams because of the predictable impact on young athletes by quality leaders, like Coach Nichols.
The maxim "adversity creates character" is not a cliche. The heartbreak of the Aspen outcome created a leadership opportunity. A lesser coach would have rationalized the playoff loss, which would have disrespected the opponent by dismissing their accomplishment under adversity.
With his post-game comments in the Vail Daily, Coach Nichols took advantage of the opportunity to lead one last time this season. Mary Ann and I cannot wait until next lax season. Go Huskies!
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Eagle boarder cited for unlawful acts in case of dog killed by mountain lion
- Vail Mountain School commencement embraces future, as well as past
- Real estate options in Wildridge offer privacy, open space and value (video)
- New Eagle City Market compiles positive comments, sales tax numbers
- ‘We’ll be racy’: Vail’s Buddy Lazier is running his 20th Indianapolis 500