Vail Daily letter: Smith for fire board
April 28, 2014
I am writing in support of Dan Smith for the position on the board of directors for Eagle River Fire Protection District. I have worked with Dan when I was the president of the Eagle County Paramedic Service. I have also seen his work in action via the Salvation Army and the Mountain Rescue Group where he has given his time and talents extensively over many years. The ERFPD needs to have independent directors who have the ability to balance fire protection with appropriate use of tax revenues. Dan has that ability and has no conflicts of interest.
I am very concerned that a firefighter union is backing another candidate and feel that is a red flag. ERFPD board members should be working to represent the taxpayers and the service that needs to be provided and not just be responsive to a union that is backing them.
I strongly support Mr. Smith due to his long history of excellent service to the community, his independence and fiscal responsibility to the taxpayer.
Dr. Larry Brooks
Past president, Vail Valley Emergency Physicians
Past president, Eagle County Ambulance District
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Arapahoe Basin volunteer ski patrol program finished after at least 4 decades
- Glenwood commuting challenge mounts for Eagle County residents
- Woodchuck starts car fire in Steamboat Springs, flees scene, later apprehended
- David Walder, of Edwards, died Monday in Sweetwater Jeep rollover accident
- Huskies 3,200 relay strikes gold at state meet