Vail Daily letter: Thanks for support
December 5, 2013
On behalf of Vail Pet Partners, I would like to thank the Climb for Literacy for donating a portion of funds raised to our Wagging Tales Reading Program. This program operates in several local schools where young students are partnered with certified "reading dogs" who assist them in improving their reading skills. Conclusive data supports that reading to a dog can build a child's confidence while reducing stress and thus improving reading fluency. It is an effective, low-tech approach that has found a niche in the classroom.
Local mountaineer Ellen Miller is the creator and founder of the Climb for Literacy which is held annually at the Vail Athletic Club. The event features young climbers dedicating their skills and passion to the advancement of literacy in their community. They are supervised by head coach,Larry Moore and assistant coaches,Courtney Moore, Adam Markert and Justin Miller.
Special thanks to Ellen Miller, climbers, coaches, families, donors, volunteers, the Vail Athletic Club and the Vail Pet Partner dogs and their handlers.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Outpouring of support begins for Eagle bartender Dita Richterova
- Vail Daily letter: Response to: ‘Political sign inappropriate for Vail parade’
- Locals searching for dog that fled head-on crash on Vail Pass Saturday
- The town of Vail looks at revising, tightening its rent-by-owner regulations