Vail Daily letter: Why severance?
August 15, 2014
I read both the announcement and the editorial on Keith Montag leaving his post leaving his post in Eagle County after 24 years of solid service. Clearly, Mr Montag has performed admirably over his tenure and I agree with the editorial that he will be missed. He managed this county through some very difficult times and he deserves his time in the sun. But I was confused because in the original announcement it stated that he would receive six months severance pay, which the article indicated was the usual practice. I spent an entire career with big companies and severance pay was used for compensating workers for involuntary job loss to provide a bridge and safety net while seeking their next job. It appeared Mr. Montag resigned voluntarily. Why would he be eligible for severance pay? I hope you can shed some light on this.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Vail Valley Foundation announces free concert lineup for Vail and Eagle
- Hanging Lake emergencies consuming Glenwood Fire Department resources
- Vail Resorts, Summit County at odds over deal for new apartment project
- Crisis actor allegedly refers to himself as ‘God’ after DUI arrest in Aspen
- Vail Daily guest column: Dog rescued from shelter now saves humans’ lives