VAIL — An overview of spring construction projects in Vail will be presented during the town’s annual construction season kick-off meeting on April 2 from 9 to 11:30 a.m. at Donovan Pavilion. Contractors, architects, merchants, residents and others with an interest in the upcoming construction projects are encouraged to attend.
Several major public and private construction projects will be taking place this spring with impacts to the Frontage roads, Ford Park and Lionshead areas, in particular. Project schedules, construction staging parameters, noise allowances and contractor parking information will be discussed by representatives from the Vail’s public works and fire departments at the meeting. Also, details on the town’s new electronic plan review software, contractor’s registration requirements, inspection schedules and stream tract restrictions will be available as well as other information and announcements from the town’s community development department.
The spring construction season for projects in Vail Village and Lionshead will run from April 15 to June 27, with no work allowed during the GoPro Mountain Games, June 5-8. Projects include:
Frontage Road projects
• North Frontage Road shoulder widening: City Market to Middle Creek. This project involves widening the Frontage road to accommodate four- to six-foot-wide shoulders and a left turn lane at Red Sandstone Elementary School. The project begins April 21 with a June 27 completion. Impacts will include daily single lane closures in the work zone. The contractor is United Companies of Mesa County. The Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, who can be reached at 970-479-2169.
• South Frontage Road shoulder widening, Donovan Park to Cascade. This project also involves widening of the Frontage road to accommodate four-to-six foot wide shoulders. Construction will run April 21 to June 27. Impacts will include daily single lane closures in the work zone. Contractor is United Companies of Mesa County. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, who can be reached at 970-479-2169.
• South Frontage Road water quality vault project,West Vail roundabout to Donovan Park: This project involves installation of storm water quality vaults and is tentatively scheduled to begin early May and take approximately two weeks to complete. Impacts will include periodic closure of the Gore Valley Trail near Matterhorn Circle and single lane closures of the Frontage road in the work zone. The contractor is Western Pipeway. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, who can be reached at 970-479-2169.
• Asphalt overlay of North and South Frontage Roads. This Colorado Department of Transportation project involves an asphalt overlay of the Frontage roads and Americans with Disabilities Act upgrades at curb ramps and will begin mid-June with a November completion. Impacts will include single lane closures of the Frontage road in the work zone. The contractor is Elam Construction. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, who can be reached at 970-479-2169.
• Manor Vail brick paver repair to the path accessing Ford Park, 595 Vail Valley Drive: This project involves removing roughly 100 feet of existing damaged pavers under a section of walk connecting the buildings, repairing some drainage issues and resetting the pavers. The work is scheduled to begin the week of April 21 with a mid-May completion date. The project will require the main walkway to Ford Park to be closed; however, a detour will be in place during construction. The contractor is Gallegos Masonry. The Manor Vail Lodge contact is Brad Perry, chief engineer, who can be reached at 970-343-6180. Town of Vail contact is Leonard Sandoval, who can be reached at 970-479-2198.
• Directional signs and town center variable message signs: This project involves installation of electronic messaging signs, two to be located at the bottom of the I-70 off ramps at Exit 176 and two to be located on the South Frontage Road near the Main Vail south roundabout. The project is scheduled for a fall construction. Impacts will include periodic lane closures on the Frontage road and shoulder and ramp closures of the interstate off ramps. The Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, who can be reached at 970-479-2169.
• Vail Village Welcome Center remodel: This project involves a 250 square foot expansion of the building’s east side to accommodate the construction of new public restrooms, plus a reconfigured interior and a re-skin of the exterior. Construction will begin in August and will be completed before the start of the ski season. Temporary welcome center quarters will be provided nearby. Town of Vail contact is Greg Hall, who can be reached at 970-479-2160.
• Lionshead parking structure entry improvements. This project involves the removal of the existing parking attendant booths and the construction of a new parking entry structure with new attendant booths, new landscaping and irrigation, plus a modification to the lower skier drop off to be a one-way loop. The project is scheduled to begin April 21 and be complete Nov. 15, with no work between June 27 and Sept. 2. Impacts will include the closure of the Lionshead parking structure main entry during the construction periods and short duration closures of the lower level drop off. The Lionshead parking structure will remain open, with access from the lowest level via East Lionshead Circle. The contractor is MW Golden Constructors. Town of Vail contact is Tom Kassmel, who can be reached at 970-479-2235.
• Strata Redevelopment (formerly Lionshead Inn and Lionshead Annex): This project involves the demolition and redevelopment of the Lionshead Inn. The project is scheduled to begin this spring with a fall 2016 completion. Impacts will include various periodic single lane closures along the South Frontage Road and West Lionshead Circle throughout the duration of the project. The contractor is PCL Construction, Inc. The Town of Vail contact is Leonard Sandoval, who can be reached at 970-479-2198.
• Vail 21 remodel, 521 E. Lionshead Circle: This project involves a re-skin of the building’s exterior. Construction will begin in late April and will be completed by the beginning of ski season. The contractor is G.E. Johnson. The Town of Vail contact is Leonard Sandoval, who can be reached at 970-479-2178.
• Phase 1B of Ford Park improvements: This project involves construction work on the Frontage road, parking lot and bus stop as well as completion of the softball field reconstruction. Impacts will include closure of the softball fields throughout the 2014 season and limited parking availability April 21 through June 16. Contractor is American Civil Construction. Town of Vail contact is Todd Oppenheimer, who can be reached at 970-479-2161.
• Ford Park Amphitheater entrance remodel: This project is currently ongoing with a June completion. The project will include construction at the main gates to the Ford Park Amphitheater and new pavers on Betty Ford Way. There will be construction vehicle access on West Betty Ford Way. The contractor is R.A. Nelson. The Town of Vail contact is Leonard Sandoval, who can be reached at 970-479-2178.
Lions Ridge Village Apartments construction (redevelopment of eastern half of Timber Ridge). This project involves the demolition of 96 two-bedroom units and the construction of 113 new one- and two-bedroom units. A building permit application has been submitted to the town’s community development department and construction is expected to begin in early May.
Impacts of the project include the temporary closure of Lionsridge Loop between Sandstone Drive and Glacier Court to through traffic to accommodate rockfall mitigation work on the hillside above the eastern portion of Timber Ridge. The temporary closure is likely to begin in early May and remain in effect through the end of the month. The contractor is R.A. Nelson, Inc. Town of Vail contact is George Ruther, who can be reached at who can be reached at 970-479-2145.
• Interstate 70 Vail Pass barrier replacement, bridge joint repair and eastbound overlay of the right lane: This project involves concrete barrier replacement, bridge joint repair and an asphalt mill/fill in the eastbound right lane from the East Vail interchange to the summit of Vail Pass. The project is currently out to bid. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, who can be reached at 970-479-2169.
• Fiber extension along I-70 westbound: This project involves installation of fiber optic cable along the westbound shoulder of I-70 from milemarker 178 to the Hanging Lake Tunnel in Glenwood Canyon. Construction is currently taking place to the west. The work in Vail is scheduled to begin in May. Impacts will include periodic shoulder and single lane closures on westbound I-70. The contractor is ADB. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, who can be reached at 970-479-2169.
• Expanded 4G/Wi-Fi work. This project involves expanding the 4G/Wi-Fi network throughout the town, requiring the installation of additional 4G/Wi-Fi poles from Main Vail to West Vail including the installation of new fiber from Vail Village to each pole. Construction will begin April 21 and continue into December. Impacts will include periodic shoulder and single lane closures along the Frontage roads and some residential streets. The contractor is Aspen Wireless. Town of Vail contact is Leonard Sandoval, who can be reached at 970-479-2235.
• There are also approximately 15 new homes that will be under construction this spring from East Vail to West Vail.
For more information on the construction kick-off, contact Martin Haeberle, chief building official, at 970- 479-2142 or email@example.com. To sign up to receive weekly construction updates, visit the town’s website and click on “Vail Mail.”