A tractor-trailer rig carrying frozen food on westbound Interstate 70 Thursday afternoon caught fire, engulfing the trailer in flames and temporarily closing the highway in both directions due to heavy smoke. Vail Fire Department Lt. Jim Rabidue said the rig’s brakes overheated, sparking a fire in the trailer. The driver was able to stop the rig and separate the truck from the trailer, which was a total loss. Rabidue said there were no injuries, and no fuel spilled from the truck, but westbound traffic was backed up for some time due to the fire.
Photo: Truck fire on Vail Pass
Trending in: Letters to the Editor
- Centura Health, Kaiser announce plans for facilities in valley as VVMC builds new wing
- Anonymous donor delivers $30,000 to rummage sale
- Navajo Code Talker, legendary lawmaker John Pinto is a great American story
- Pattern of abuse does not excuse Cunningham murder, DA says
- Palacios lifts the Devils over the Huskies