Back pain mistakes and back-friendly advice
August 15, 2016
Exercise is a great way to manage many kinds of back pain. Just make sure you're doing it right!
Mistake: Jumping into exercise can aggravate pain.
Fix: Warm up a little longer. Ease into physical activity.
Mistake: If abdominal crunches alone make up your strength routine, a weak back may accompany your six-pack.
Fix: Support your back with strong muscles in the stomach, hips, and thighs. Visit the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (aaos.org) and search for "low back pain exercise guide."
Mistake: Do you hop off the treadmill and into the shower? You're missing the best part.
Fix: Take ample time to stretch when your muscles are warm. You'll improve elasticity in tight areas.
Brought to you by Kaiser Permanente
Trending In: Thrive
- Avon woman wins her parking case in municipal court
- January snowfall on the minds of Vail skiers, snowboarders; Closing Day is Sunday, April 23
- Elephant tranquilizer turned up in area of Eagle County overdose deaths
- Heroin laced with elephant tranquilizer found on scene of Blue Lake deaths
- Days the music died: 8150 one of many Vail music venues that have come and gone